• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics Cold Garage Germination/Grow (Construction Complete! Now with Pics!)

Ok, friends, our time has come to an end. I have started my season, so migrate I must. You can find me at http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/27401-matts-glog-of-sorts/page__pid__547564#entry547564. If any of you wanna keep adding to this, feel free. I will still be around, but most of my content is going to go into my growlog.

Good Luck with your grow and keep us updated.

Matt

well sadly there are no cheap cooling thermostats..

Not sure what you consider cheap, but I come to the pepper growing forums after having spent 10 years on the saltwater reef tank forums. I am recycling alot of my old reef tank equipment to be used for my veggie garden / pepper grow this year (ambitious first timer, LOL).

Anyways, we used a controller, the Ranco Dual Stage controller, for controlling both the heater and chillers in our aquariums. With a 300g aquarium, I had a 1/4hp chiller and a 2000w heater, running both at the same time would be just pouring money down the drain. But I needed to maintain an even temp, +/- 1-2 degrees at MOST. The Ranco is like $100 new, which is expensive, but you can find them used on many aquarium forums for $30-$50.. They have a ceiling and a floor limit, ie, ABOVE 82, turn on A, and BELOW 80 turn on B (A and B being 3 prong outlets capable of handling the wattage of the heater or chiller). They were pretty darn accurate for the tanks, and if you gave yourself 80-85 as a target range, I bet it would avg 82/83 all the time without venting unnecessarily or running the heater while venting.

Since my basement avgs 70, and under MH's it can easily get up to 80, I haven't played with the controller for maintaining air temps, but I don't see why it wouldn't work and I'll definitely be playing with mine in a hoophouse I have outside later this spring (yes, they are waterproof too which is a bonus LOL)

Thanks for that info. It is warm enough right now to not worry about it, but that is something that I will check out for the next season. Great info!

Also, :welcome:

Great stuff Matt-not sure how I missed this before....read it straight through,full of great info, you ask and answer all the right questions-helluva job.......even if you did get busted
for deserting your beer! I am a little pissed at myself for not keeping up lately(been off to strange places...) and my schedulus interuptus had me in a mad scramble when time came to "jump", but thats how its goes sometimes.I did manage 84 transplants(seedlings),and had to split the next day...leaving them to "wife care bhut camp" in the garage.....the survivors are gonna some tough little bastidges! I did smuggle some seed packets ....and will do the paper towel thing if I get news of a few losses.Not that I doubt my wife's dedication to my pepper care.........

Back