• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Collards and curlers

My sister and I set up a table at the Farmer's Market yesterday. It was a beautiful day, temperatures in the upper fifties early, warming only to the low eighties. The sky was cloudless, and that deep, rich shade of azure blue we only see in autumn. The early crowds were light, and we were doing more talking about pepper-ology than selling; but that's part of the fun.

I looked up at one point and saw what looked to be a two large collards walking briskly towards us. As they got closer, a woman's face appeared between them. Her head was covered in brightly colored curlers, wound tight in her hair. As she paused in front of our table, she shifted the collards to one arm, and balanced them on one hip. She tapped her lips with one finger and asked about the heat and flavor of various peppers. This was a serious customer, and we both sat up straighter as we answered. As she paid for her carefully considered selections, I teased her a bit about those collards. She snapped her purse shut, and looked up as she turned to leave. Suddenly her whole face lit up, and she proudly said, " My son is coming home from Iraq today, and I'm going to have every one of his favorite foods ready for him!"

Then, be-curlered head held high and collards to the fore, she walked briskly around the corner to the booth selling black-eyed peas.

Reminder - I'm from Canada...What is a collard???

And, to further the geographical disconnect, up here, curlers compete in briers...

Please note Pam - no disrespect is intended, as I do sense the serious nature of your post, but if you were typing in Swahili, I would not be more lost re the details of the story...

:?::?::?:

Hot Canuck said:
Reminder - I'm from Canada...What is a collard???

*muttering* half frozen heathen savages...

Ahem! I mean, oh you silly Canadians!

Collards are a type of greens related to cabbages and kale that grow sorta bunched on a stalk. The bunches of collards she was carrying were a good 2 1/2 to 3 feet long.

http://www.all-creatures.org/recipes/i-collardgreens.html

They're a southern staple, especially in the colder months. In fact there are some who swear they're not edible until after the first frost. Usually they're served boiled with a ham hock and onions with some corn bread on the side. Some people like a bit of vinegar on theirs. They're also an essential part of a traditional South Carolina New Year's Day meal of ham, hopping john, and a mess o'greens.

And, to further the geographical disconnect, up here, curlers compete in briers...

Oh, I expect your wife knows what curlers are. I could have called them hair rollers, but the alliteration of "Collards and Curlers" was pleasing to me.

Please note Pam - no disrespect is intended, as I do sense the serious nature of your post, but if you were typing in Swahili, I would not be more lost re the details of the story...

:?::?::?:

No offense taken, and I would say the post was less serious than touching. My sister and I looked at each other and said "aww" at the same time. We would have given her the peppers had we known.

And, of course, the chance to needle you back is always appreciated.

bentalphanerd said:
Cabbage, black-eyed peas & hot peppers for dinner. Breakfast should be 'musical'

And don't forget the ham and cornbread and macaroni and cheese and apple crisp and brown sugar pie and banana pudding washed down with a big ol' glass of sweet iced tea.

*muttering* half frozen heathen savages...

I've been called worse...

They're also an essential part of a traditional South Carolina New Year's Day meal of ham, hopping john, and a mess o'greens.

I can almost hear Ken Burns...

Oh, I expect your wife knows what curlers are.
Russ Howard, Ed Werenich, Randy Ferbey...

And, of course, the chance to needle you back is always appreciated.

I do tend to accidentally leave myself open for abuse...:?:

Thanks for clarifying...but for a little cultural exchange, if you ever get up to Ottawa, ask Potawie to treat you to a beaver tail...they're delicious, especially when you're skating on the Rideau...:?:

bentalphanerd said:
Let me guess, they have a little caged canary in the bathroom.

Canary? Those little wussies? Buzzards scream in terror when they draw bathroom duty (doodie?) around here!

Pam said:
Canary? Those little wussies? Buzzards scream in terror when they draw bathroom duty (doodie?) around here!

No way, no how, never am I letting a buzzard loose in my bathroom to test the air quality. :?:

Back