• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Collecting and storing pollen? How do you...

I have done some crosses and played around with immediately collected pollen. But I was wondering:

1) what people do to collect pollen in "bulk" as much bulk as that can be...

2) And how do you store it?

3) How long have you been able to store pollen and it was still viable for use?

I have seen people create collars to collect falling pollen, and I have seen people use electric tooth flossers to vibrate the pollen.

Please input idea here:

Thanks guys, I love the ideas, I may end up investing in those cone ended storage tubes. I have other uses for them too, so they won't go to waste.

I have hear people storing pollen for a month or two and still getting pods after using it... but I am wondering about long term like a few years. If anyone has used two year or older pollen and still was able to get pods, I would be very interested to know.

edit: I know very well that freezing seeds can degrade the germination rate just by being frozen, many people have posted about it, but I wonder if the same would hold true for pollen. Or does pollen degrade faster in general... eh, tryin to spark some ideas.

Did some searching on other plant forums and the consensus seems to be that it is viable in open storage for about a month.  If it is frozen dry, use dried flour as a desiccant works from what I read, usually up to a year but definitely at least 6 months.

Back