• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

colour temp vs wattage

I'm trying to figure what is the best globe for my grow box. It is very small and can fit about 6 baby plants. It is for bringing on the freshly germinated seedlings until they are ready to go outside into the greenhouse.

I have one cfl globe socket.
I have a small standard 11w (60w old style) globe. It says it is 6500K cool daylight 600 lumens 54 lm/W.
I also have a 28w (140w) globe which is larger. It says Natural 5000K. No other info on the box.

I'm not worried about heat becuse I'm about to install a fan controlled by a thermostat for cooling. I'm also not worried about the power bills, I only care about what is best for growing the plants.

Anyone know which globe is better?

Blue spectrum (6500k) is best for seedling/vegging stage but with 28w you'll get a lot more lumens for sure and some red that never hurts. Go with the 28w.

Cya

Datil

Thanks for the answer but I managed to move things around and expand my grow box by about four times :dance:

So I'll use the 28w one for now and as soon as I can get to the hardware store I'll put in a few more fittings. Then I will be able to start a crapload more seeds. :dance:

Why not put the newly germinated seedlings in the GH to start with? It won't hurt them - I did about half of mine that way. Saves money, creates stronger plants, helps them grow quicker.

Mike

you can screw a Y fitting into that one socket if that helps....like 2$
2011-04-04215425.jpg

Back