• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Coming out of winter

Hi All,

I have some Chilli plants I overwintered in my lounge.

Spring is here and I have picked up on the amount of watering and have started putting the plants outside.

Question is:

1) Should I further prune the seemingly dead branches? Or do I leave them until the new leaves come?
2) How do I know if the plant is dead and did not make it?

IMG_0279.jpg

Thanks

PeriPeri

I leave the branch alone mostly after bringing them back out into the world.

It's hard to tell if a plant will make it or not, yours look like they will though!

I leave the branch alone mostly after bringing them back out into the world.

It's hard to tell if a plant will make it or not, yours look like they will though!

Thanks for the advice! Trust in nature and don't intervene... Too often we feel the urge to do something lol

From what I've read, if the branches are brownish and hollow inside the plant is probably dead. Just like Novacastrian said yours look green on the picture so should be okay. Like bentalphanerd im curious too how cold it gets in the winter :lol:

just out of curiosity, how cold does it get there in winter?

Johannesburg is located 4000 ft above sea level and I would say temperatures (averages) about -1 night time to 19˚C daytime in winter. Our winter is from May till August. We also get no rain from May till August. Our rain season in Johannesburg is in summer - every month with an "R" in it oddly enough. But Johannesburg is probably one of the coolest parts of the country with temperatures only reaching max 36˚C in summer. But its incredibly dry here. Durban is about the warmest in South Africa in winter... at the coast... temperatures there can range 10˚C night time to 25˚C night time. Coastal regions get rain during winter.

I think our weather is not as hot as you down under.... and it would appear neither is our rugby team... lol

What about your weather in winter?

For starters...NO FULL SUN when you bring them back out. That WILL kill those dormant branches REAL quick. Find a shady spot like under the deck, under a tree, etc etc...Within a month they will start producing new leaves and branches. In full sun, they will die for sure.

For starters...NO FULL SUN when you bring them back out. That WILL kill those dormant branches REAL quick. Find a shady spot like under the deck, under a tree, etc etc...Within a month they will start producing new leaves and branches. In full sun, they will die for sure.
Thanks Pepper Guru... good point. Will definately do that!

The ones I transplanted into new growing medium really outpaced those I let stay in their winter container. They were in a coarse mostly pine mix.

I moved them to a really light, airy medium (the Pro Mix BX mentioned here a lot) which is a high quality peat that contains a bit of perlite. I also added some liquid nutes 1/4 strength.

Good to go! I think a light, finer medium enhances the small tender new root growth as it comes out of dormancy.

Just guessing, though, it was my first time trying it... :cool:

The ones I transplanted into new growing medium really outpaced those I let stay in their winter container. They were in a coarse mostly pine mix.

I moved them to a really light, airy medium (the Pro Mix BX mentioned here a lot) which is a high quality peat that contains a bit of perlite. I also added some liquid nutes 1/4 strength.

Good to go! I think a light, finer medium enhances the small tender new root growth as it comes out of dormancy.

Just guessing, though, it was my first time trying it... :cool:
Of course! A light airy mix with mucho aerators (perlite and verm) will allow those roots to blast through the soil, creating a super nutrient highway system. HOWEVER, don't get roped into buying promix every time. I suggest learning your favorite mixes and creating them yourselves at home with all the best ingredients. Its MUCHO cheaper and MUCHO better!

Back