blenders Commercial Immersion blenders

Does anyone have any experience using commercial immersion blenders?

I'm thinking of getting one of these bad boys:

http://www.waringcommercialproducts.com/catalog.php?pcID=90

to do 2 things:

1. Blend tomatoes
2. to act as a hands free agitator for the kettle

Some background:

I'm going to be cooking with a 60 gal steam kettle, which requires blending a little over 40 gallons of whole peeled tomatoes. Right now for my 9 gal batches I use a small immersion blender to blend the tomatoes and I like the texture that gives me (fairly course). I've found using a food processor that its easy to make the blend too smooth.

So I'm hoping to get the same results, just at a bigger scale

But one of the problems with using an immersion blender is being able to tell when you are "done". Right now I pour my blend through a wire mesh to catch any unblended tomatoes, but that would be a PITA to do for 40 gallons

For agitating I could buy the whisk attachment, plus the clamp, then basically clamp the thing to the side of the kettle and let it run on low speed to keep the sauce mixed while it cooks.

So, a couple of questions:

1. Waring equipment any good?
2. Any problems with the plan above? Any better ideas on how to check for unblended material?

Thanks

Wayne

I have the small Waring unit, and use it for several different things. Used to use it for emulsifying salad dressings. Another lady I know used to have one of the really big units for her salad dressings. She was emulsifying in 5 gallon batches.

I think the Waring brand is pretty good. And using the clamp would be a huge benefit. For the consistency issue, maybe try blending the tomatoes in 5 gallon batches. There are clear food service storage containers that would work well and you can see through it.

To check for big tomato bits, use a large colander like thiswhich will fit into a large stock pot. Blender the tomatoes then pour through the colander. Dump the big bits back into your blendering container and dump the good stuff into the cooking pot. Repeat.

Any particular reason you're not using "crushed tomatoes" to start with? I use those all the time for chili and spaghetti sauce. It sounds like it would be real close to what you're going for. If nothing else, it would cut down on the time it takes to blender it up.

edit- are you getting/using your own processing facility or working out of another commercial space? 60 gallon steam kettle is SWEET! (I'm drooling at the mere thought of something like that! :drooling: )

Any particular reason you're not using "crushed tomatoes" to start with? I use those all the time for chili and spaghetti sauce. It sounds like it would be real close to what you're going for. If nothing else, it would cut down on the time it takes to blender it up.

I tried some from the local restaurant supply store and they contained some skins (even though it said skinless) and was almost twice the price of the whole tomatoes. And with the whole tomatoes I can check for gnarly bits (and there often are) before I blend them.

I'd consider crushed tomatoes if I could be convinced of the quality, and the price was right, but so far I have not found a good source

edit- are you getting/using your own processing facility or working out of another commercial space? 60 gallon steam kettle is SWEET! (I'm drooling at the mere thought of something like that! :drooling: )

Its a commissary - used to be a soup kitchen. Its pretty exciting, big step up for me.

The first cook is going to be a bit nerve wracking though, there is going to be about $600 worth of ingredients in that pot - screw ups are much more expensive now!

I tried some from the local restaurant supply store and they contained some skins (even though it said skinless) and was almost twice the price of the whole tomatoes. And with the whole tomatoes I can check for gnarly bits (and there often are) before I blend them.

I'd consider crushed tomatoes if I could be convinced of the quality, and the price was right, but so far I have not found a good source

Its a commissary - used to be a soup kitchen. Its pretty exciting, big step up for me.

The first cook is going to be a bit nerve wracking though, there is going to be about $600 worth of ingredients in that pot - screw ups are much more expensive now!

That is very exciting for you, and yea, screw ups are much more expensive!

If you can find a store brand of crushed that you like, see if the store can bring in #10's of that brand. FS products often aren't the same quality as the store brands.

Good luck in your new digs. Post some pics if you think about it. Make all the rest of us jealous. :)

Go for the best, Robot Coupe.

yeah i've used robot coupe stuff for a while. they're awesome and powerful. tough stuff too. costs a lot but it pays itself after a while.

Back