commercial-kichen commercial kitchen ?

Hi everyone.. I need some ideas on how to find a commercial kitchen that I can use like once a week . I want to make fresh salsa and pickles for my local farmers market. Any advice would be great..Thanks Tim ,,Cincinnati

Which Farmers markets are you going to try to do? Findlay or one of the other local markets. Findlay is pretty strenuous to get into. Some of the others like Northside or Oxford or Madeira arent so much.

contact your local health department, the people who inspect restaurants, they may know of a shared-use kitchen for processors.

Past that, just start thinking and looking at all the buildings in your community that have commercial kitchens-
community center, grange hall, fire hall, church, VFW/Eagles/masonic/Elks, private school, even restaurants afterhours...

start knocking on doors and asking. Maybe get creative in your offers to rent the kitchen. If the church can't make money from the use if it's facilites, maybe offer to trade cleaning services, maintenance, or yard work for use of the kitchen.

Once you find a place, make sure it will be available for long term (occassional) rent. Most licensing agencies will license you for your product in a certain facility and if you change facilites, you will likely have to get relicensed.

Good Luck, let us know how it goes~

SL

Welcome, ChefJesse! :welcome:

That is a very generous offer, and for your first post also.

Hope you enjoy the forum,
salsalady

Salsa Lady's post has it all.
Just for an example of what you can do, if you know a bar/restaurant owner with a licensed kitchen, ask them if they'd be interested in you making them their own Private Label hot sauce/salsa or whatever. Quite a few bars/restaurants sell their own products these days, to add a bit more to the bottom line. Then negotiate a deal whereby you can use their kitchen to make all of their sauces and all of yours.....it can be the same stuff with a different label. So if you do it right, you've got yourself a paying customer and free use of a kitchen!

Good luck.

Back