• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Completely random thread about slugs; quick way that helps to control 'em

I hate slugs.

Suspect that most gardeners do.

Every night at sundown I walk the rows of peppers (went completely overboard this year), tomatoes and other veggies, looking for the slimy bastards. It pretty easy to see them since I use raised beds and an outdoor hybrid hydroponics system I expanded greatly for 2012.

Usually I just squish them with the toe of my shoe. Somewhat gratifying, but not really. Occasionally, I get all high tech like using a spray bottle with vinegar or, better yet, scorch them where they lay with a handheld 1,300 mW laser. But I found something simple yet incredibly gratifying this week.

Now I just walk up and down the rows with a boxcutter in hand. I see one and lighty swipe them with the tip of the blade protruding only ~1/8" out of the handle. They sort of turn inside out and definitely won't be eating anything. Ants come out within an hour or two and start to feast. Now, if another slug follows the "dead end trail" of his cousin and there are more a than a few ants feeding on the carcass, those ants call their buddies (perhaps they Twitter them?) and they go to town on the live slugs. Beautiful! Thanks ants!

I walk up and down a total of ~600 feet. Using this method, it only takes me 5 minutes tops. Thought I would pass this one along. Now I rarely see more than 7 slugs around the entire crop. This year seems to be a little worse than last year - didn't lose any seedlings to them, which was nice.

"...or, better yet, scorch them where they lay with a handheld 1,300 mW laser. "

Dude... you F*CKIN' ROCK!!!

I like the ants spin on the process too. I would've never even thought of the lazer idea and I own one! If anything though I think you've inspired to watch the "Ants" movie to see what kind of communication they're using. Perhaps they have some form of vibratory-pheromonal Twitter that alerts the other as to the smorgasboard you've left them with your fine culinary skills.

Keep it coming! I haven't laughed that hard in aeons.

Farmer, thanks for your response in my earlier thread, and now I offer some help to you. Get some solo cups (or the like), fill them half way with beer and place them in your garden. Yes you will get some wasps n such, but slugs in droves. Check the forecast of course. This was my Penn Dutch Grandma's way of slug control.

You could always go fishing with them! I never did try vinegar yet. that will be fun! Now i've gotta get a laser . It'll feel good to be a kid again and watch em fry! :twisted: Try a hand held torch :onfire:

You could always go fishing with them! I never did try vinegar yet. that will be fun! Now i've gotta get a laser . It'll feel good to be a kid again and watch em fry! :twisted: Try a hand held torch :onfire:

It takes a little bit of time, even at that wattage, but it's really fun. I will go take a picture of this happening and post it up. I don't know if it will come out since the beam is very bright and I have to wear goggles that dont allow me to see much.

Here goes something......

Here's the video of a few minutes ago, slug vs. laser. Slug loses: www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLne9pOw1lU&feature=youtu.be

There are lots of other (dry) things that are much more fun to burn sinceslugs are made of moisture and you have to boil sections of the moisture out. Nonetheless, very gratifying!!

BTW, anyone know how to embed video in here. I still haven't figured it out.

Thanks!

If you want a low tech method that will work when your not around just get some egg shells. Wash the egg slime out and allow them to dry then just break them into pieces. As the slugs slime their way over them they cut themselves open as your boxcutter does and die. You also get the side benefit of added calcium to your garden as the shells breakdown and go into the dirt.

Happy growing
RM

Sluggo! End of story.

Just laying pieces of plywood on the ground will get them to congregate under them and you can scrape them off into soapy water to kill them.
Copper strips keeps them away as well as it produces a small charge they do not like. :cool:

Has anyone tried using liquefied superhots as a spray? Many years ago, I used hot pepper wax for other pests with good results. I think I'll cut open a superhot this evening, rub it on a slug and see how it likes it. If it's a particularly violent reaction I'll video it and put the link up on here.

I used to use the beer method, but I don't drink beer anymore (occassionally when I'm at the pub but not often) so I don't have a steady supply.

Does the eggshell method work even when it is rainy? I know that diatomaceous earth works great but not so well when it is damp out and I was wondering if eggshells had the same drawback.

Thanks for all your help!

I wouldn't expect hot peppers to do anything to insects or slugs. My understanding is that it's only us mammals that have a reaction to being maced.

I wouldn't expect hot peppers to do anything to insects or slugs. My understanding is that it's only us mammals that have a reaction to being maced.

That would be incorrect. Peppers mixed with water and sprayed on plants is a very good insecticide against many insects. ;)

Why don't you just buy some Sluggo? Works great and it's safe around pets.

Is Sluggo just Iron Phosphate with an attractant? If so, I put some (different brand) around the edge of my garden area with good results. I haven't lost any plants to slugs this year, I'm just obsessive about them and there seem to be more of 'em around this year. I won't use chemicals in my gardens, even ornamentals, and I have to make sure the pups and cat don't get sick from anything.

Thanks!

Is Sluggo just Iron Phosphate with an attractant?

Yes sir that would be correct.

I won't use chemicals in my gardens, even ornamentals, and I have to make sure the pups and cat don't get sick from anything.

I agree although many plants in the yard are far more poisonous than snail and slug baits. I grow Digitalis Purpurea (Foxglove) and it is deadly as is Oleander and many others.

Wow, awesome slug laser-ing! What exactly does one use a 1300 mW laser for, other than slugs that is? At what wattage is it that you need licensing/certification for?

I have been told Diatomaceous earth works also, which from my understand is jsut ground up shell and when they crawl over it it cuts them up and they dehydrate and die.

Wow, awesome slug laser-ing! What exactly does one use a 1300 mW laser for, other than slugs that is? At what wattage is it that you need licensing/certification for?

They technically banned these and won't allow importation into the USA any more. You can get much more nuts than this here:

http://amazing1.com/burning-lasers.htm
(lots of ridiculously neat stuff on this site)

Hatem too. If you need a hunting sport in the off season, a magnifying glass and sun still works as good as it used to. Cheaper aswell and judging By the vid faster.

Back