• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Concise directions for over wintering pepper plants?

I did a search and there are tons of threads, too many. One that looked good was 18 pages long.

I remember a few years ago reading how to prune, store in a basement or garage, how to water peppers to over winter them. Is there a glog or thread that has simple step by step instructions vs having to read through dozens of threads to glean the info?

I have 2 Fatalii plants in Folgers plastic containers, 1 is 24 oz the other is 39 oz. They are ~ 21" tall and 18" wide obviously stunted from being in tiny containers but have produced about 60-65 peppers. It would be great to have a head start next spring. My garage is way too cold, this is northwest CT, but the basement doesn't get colder than 46° by late winter, it is a walkout into a 2 car garage with insulated garage doors. The light in the basement is dim at best with small windows, 1 that faces north and 2 facing east.

Thanks.  

tjg911 said:
I did a search and there are tons of threads, too many. One that looked good was 18 pages long.

I remember a few years ago reading how to prune, store in a basement or garage, how to water peppers to over winter them. Is there a glog or thread that has simple step by step instructions vs having to read through dozens of threads to glean the info?

Ya know Willard, I spent some time thinking about how to respond to our fellow Nor-'Easter....but after found the definition of Concise in the OP's title (giving a lot of information clearly and in a few words; brief but comprehensive.) I realized you answered it perfectly!

willard3 said:
The Comprehensive Guide to Over-Wintering

Overwintering chiles is not a simple operation. Read under the above link and inform yourself.

tjg911 said:
Yeah that was the thread I was reading, 18 pages. I guess there isn't a synopsis of how to do this? 
Are the plants you want to over winter in pots or in the ground?

tjg911 said:
Yeah that was the thread I was reading, 18 pages. I guess there isn't a synopsis of how to do this?
Are the plants you want to over winter in pots or in the ground?

Sorry I reread your post, I see they are in containers.  

Can you keep them in the house overwinter instead of the basement? If space is an issue you can cut the plant down to only a few cm high, trim the rootball and repot them into smaller pots, then when spring is approaching pot them up again into your bigger pots.

These have been cut to different heights, from between a few cm high to aboit 30cm high.  
Elbr3vX.jpg

They are in 24 and 39 oz plastic coffee cans. 

I know to not fertilize. IIRC you need to water then just enough so they don't dry out and die. I see how much to prune them. 

Is that all? 

Keep them somewhere as light and warm as possible. I keep my over winters next to the windows, the only light they get other than the natural sunlight is from the ceiling room lights if they are on, all rooms have under floor heating. I'm in sweden and the winter is long, dark and cold. I have only being over wintering for 3 years but I've done over 100 plants and never lost a single one. It can be as hard and complicated as you would like to make it, or as simple and easy as you would like to make it.

Another tip would be to spray your plants with a insecticidal soap, use neem oil aswell if you have it. You dont want to over winter any bugs with your plants, in a warm light house a few bugs will quickly become alot of bugs

For the insecticidal soap I mean a natural soap. I think in America they use dr bronners Castle soap. In sweden we use something called grönsåpa. Its not advisable to use a regular dishwashing liquid such as fairy liquid.
+1 to above. True soap, or ordinary soap, is defined as the “combining of fats or oils with an alkali, such as lye.”

Dish washing liquid i comprised of:

INGREDIENT FUNCTION WHAT IS IT WHY IS IT IN THERE?

WATER Solvent water holds ingredients together
SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE surfactant cleaning agent provides cleaning
SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE surfactant cleaning agent provides cleaning
C10-16 ALKYLDIME-THYLAMINE OXID surfactant cleaning agent boosts cleaning
ALCOHOL DENAT. Solvent solvent stabilizes formula
PPG-26 viscosity adjuster solvent stabilizes formula
SODIUM CHLORIDE viscosity adjuster salt thickener
SODIUM HYDROXIDE pH adjuster mineral based pH adjuster balances formula pH
PEI-14 PEG-24/PPG-16 COPOLYMER cleaning agent cleaning agent boosts cleaning
PHENOXYETHANOL Solvent solvent stabilizes formula
FRAGRANCES fragrance perfume adds scent to product
METHYLISOTHIAZO-LINONE preservative non-formaldehyde preservative preservative
COLORANTS, BLUE 1, YELLOW 5, RED 33 colorant colorant adds color to product
C9-11 PARETH-8 surfactant cleaning agent gently aids soil removal
STYRENE/ACRYLATES COPOLYMER opacifier opacifier makes product opaque
TETRASODIUM GLUTAMATE DIACETATE water softener chelant boosts soil removal
CHLOROXYLENOL antibacterial agent antibacterial agent decreases bacteria on the skin when used as a hand soap
PHENOXY-ISOPROPANOL Solvent solvent enhances grease cutting
GLYCERIN viscosity adjuster process aid stabilizes formula
SODIUM CUMENE-SULFONATE process aid process aid stabilizes formula
PROPYLENE GLYCOL Solvent solvent stabilizes formula
TERPINEOL t Solvent solvent enhances grease cutting

Back