• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Confused about Naga

Here is an article that explains some about the morich/jolokia species, with alot of info into their genetics and why all the different names. ALso has a pic of the pc-1 jolokia pepper. The PC-1 designation was applied by Indian military researchers who were looking for the hottest chile extracts to make pepper sprays and powders for riot control. The Indian PC-1 is a capsicum annuum.

http://pages.citebite.com/d1t1b9s7k5gtx

And a pic of a known jolokia pc1.

crazy8 said:
Any chance you might be offering up or selling any seeds from those great looking plants?

there may be a chance but I have to get pods first...and that will be in October/November if they produce...they were very late getting into the ground...

See I was thinking to myself lastnight "Why would anyone WANT to grow a pepper that had bad flavor?"
The PC-1 designation was applied by Indian military researchers who were looking for the hottest chile extracts to make pepper sprays and powders for riot control
This would explain it. Peppers for riot control powders don't need to taste good. But still doesn't make since as to why some normal people would grow it, unless there are people who do like the tast.

There is a jolokia pc1 that is c frutensce, which grows erect like a tabasco, and there is the indian pc1 that is c annum, which looks like a really dark red cayenne. They actually use the bhut jolokia for the said powder in the military in India.

Notes from the chile taxonomist:

This whole thread explains why it's important to call chiles what they really are instead of making up new names or conflating names.

willard3 said:
Notes from the chile taxonomist:

This whole thread explains why it's important to call chiles what they really are instead of making up new names or conflating names.

This whole thread shows that using common names without the taxonomic names creates confusion because there is no sciense whatsoever behind the common names.

If the Naga Jolokia is clearly labeled as Capsicum frutescens no one would confuse them with the superhots.

MrArboc said:
If the Naga Jolokia is clearly labeled as Capsicum frutescens no one would confuse them with the superhots.

In india it is just caled a jolokia for the frutescens variety pc1, and the naga jolokia is the c chinese variety. Somewhere along the way, the naga got added in front of the pc1 variety.

Jolokia just means pepper(chile)
From what i can tell, the indian pc-1(frutescens) or Tezpur was the first "naga jolokia" type to be 'introduced' here other than maybe the purple naga jolokia(annuum) or possibly the Naga Jolokia pc-1(annuum) The chinense types took several years to become 'available' here. Many years of me searching for them!!

So just to make sure Im clear on this, as far as cooking with or using the "frutescens" type in foods or sauces, they are as good as a dog turd then?

AJ, I'm the one you sent the Peppers of Key West Naga seeds to. :) Thanks. I'm growing them this year. :) Small, but healthy. I hope they pick up soon. They definitely have a super hot appearance from a foliage perspective.

Chris

crazy8 said:
So just to make sure Im clear on this, as far as cooking with or using the "frutescens" type in foods or sauces, they are as good as a dog turd then?

I would like to assume that they taste better than that, but I guess that could depend on what the dog has been eating :shocked:

Sure there is. It proves that work = distance/time and that objects also can resist forces applied to them. But I know what you mean. Yeah what the heck Ill leave them in. There are in the ground and would require more (very little of course) work to pull them and I will never know unless I see what kind of pods they produce.

RJC said:
Maybe I should use them as experimental grafting peppers??:P

That is not a bad idea since there is no other use for the pepper itself if it turns out to be a pc1. And you wouldn't be using a good plant that you might have otherwise kept.

crazy8 said:
Hey thanks to that I may have also found a use for something I have been wanting to do.

I am considering doing the same thing, just dont know what plant ill use, but more than likely i will use an orange hab plant. I couldn't bring myself to use some of the other plants as a test specimen.

POTWIE, thanks for the info.

MrArboc, you obviously have a diplomatic gene. Sir, you are a kinder man than I. LOL

Crazy8,

Whoa… life is a fragile thing. If the plants are healthy and producing pods, give them a chance.

As I posted earlier, I find the Naga Jolokia more productive than Thai’s I’ve grown. I don’t find Thai’s more flavourful but for Thai dishes and generic pepper flakes, the NJ’s do fine. But then again, my taste buds are tainted… I’m one of those evil smokers.

Hey, you invested this much time; why not give them a bit more.

Just my 2 cents (or my .02199 CDN cents).

Bill

Back