• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Congo peppers

I just read an article saying how extremely hot and pungent these peppers are.
Unfortunately in Trinidad congo means anything large and powerful so it's hard to pin point which pepper they are talking about.
Oh and this is from Dave DeWitt so no BS.
I'm sure it's less hot then Naga but what got me interested is the size and strong aroma.
Lucky for me I had 6 Congo seeds from a trade last year that I did not get a chance to grow.
Looking forward to see these guys sprout.

So what do you guys think about congo peppers? Are they more tasty then regular habs?

http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave2/trinidad.asp

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1134/is_n11_v106/ai_20384247

Trinidad Congo is large hab from, well... Trinidad.
They usually ripe to deep red, but there's a yellow version as well.
The plant is very productive and the pods are largest in their first season.

POTAWIE said:
An apple sized hab would be huge.
Maybe for a hab, but not for a pepper.
I've seen some real huge peppers, and they're more than just apple-sized.
LUCKYDOG said:
For a Hab? Mine are about the size of a plum -- In New England we know apples and they aint no apple
Well I'm not stranger to apples as well, and they do get to that size.
Your Trinidad Congo doesn't sound so "congo". :lol:

a apple size for a habs is huge :shocked: or maybe we don't have the same apple here in canada LOL ....we have bell pepper bigger than apple for sure but for an habs wow !!! dont forget the weather will directly influance the size of the pods too...I'll try the congo too this year so we will see ;)

The apple-sized Congo I've seen, grew in Trinidad. don't think Israel is a magical place for growing peppers.
I'll be growing them as well this year, so we'll see how good the weather is here.

I would love to see one that size. Either I have the wrong seeds or the wrong growing conditions.

Omri, did you gather seeds in Trinidad of this particular variety? I grew some Congo peppers last year (I thought). A friend of mine from Trinidad sent me seeds. They were very nice peppers, but didn't get anywhere near the size of an apple! That I have to see. :rolleyes:
Let me know.

Chris

Omri said:
The apple-sized Congo I've seen, grew in Trinidad. don't think Israel is a magical place for growing peppers.
I'll be growing them as well this year, so we'll see how good the weather is here.

Well someone who visited to Trinidad (and showed me the picture) brought some seeds back, and gave me some.
They're red, but I have some yellow ones from Sara as well. :)

Happen to have any seeds of the red one available for trade? Even a small quantity?

Chris

Omri said:
Well someone who visited to Trinidad (and showed me the picture) brought some seeds back, and gave me some.
They're red, but I have some yellow ones from Sara as well. :)

they aren't as big as apples but they are bigger than most hab types. they taste amazing they are worth growing, definately

cmpman1974 said:
Happen to have any seeds of the red one available for trade? Even a small quantity?

Chris
Sorry, I only have a couple of them.
The seeds came from the really big one, and not from just any Congo there.

EDIT:
Maybe I was wrong to say "apple-sized"? I don't know, maybe you have really big apples where you live. :shocked:
It's about the same size as the yellow circle.
congovo8.jpg

I'll get the picture and scan it for you guys, you need to see it. :lol:

No problem. Just figured I'd check. Keep us updated with pictures if you can. I'd love to trade for some seeds if your plants bear fruit similar to the parent plant. :P

Chris

Bell peppers are that size and much larger, Congo a bit smaller, I was refering to an Orange Hab the size of a plum I have not grown a Congo Pepper.. "that hab is huge and I am locking in my answer" Omri ;)

it doesnt matter if its apple size or not. if a hab grows to that size in the pic omri shows, thats a BIG hab no matter what!
I'd be in heaven if I could grow those size habs all the time :lol: & as long as they kept their heat.

Back