• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Conjoined stem on a seedling

I've had a few pods in the past which were conjoined i.e. two pods grow off one stem.

But never have I had two stems of a seedling  grow together, and they are actually joined together, except they split off at the top as two separate plants. This would've definitely been a single seed as this lot I had started in wet tissues so I would've noticed if it were two seeds stuck together. I remember seeing this particular seedling when it was just a few weeks old thinking thats weird how it had an odd arrangement of first leaves, but didn't notice it had two stems. When you bend the plant - the stems don't come apart, they seem to be actually growing like that. I wonder what it'll be like as an adult plant, double the pods off the same amount of root space perhaps?

2015_08_30_15_02_41.jpg

2015_08_30_15_01_10.jpg

2015_08_30_15_01_22.jpg

2015_08_30_15_01_44.jpg

2015_08_30_15_02_02.jpg

SentencedToBurn said:
I've had a few pods in the past which were conjoined i.e. two pods grow off one stem.

But never have I had two stems of a seedling  grow together, and they are actually joined together, except they split off at the top as two separate plants. This would've definitely been a single seed as this lot I had started in wet tissues so I would've noticed if it were two seeds stuck together. I remember seeing this particular seedling when it was just a few weeks old thinking thats weird how it had an odd arrangement of first leaves, but didn't notice it had two stems. When you bend the plant - the stems don't come apart, they seem to be actually growing like that. I wonder what it'll be like as an adult plant, double the pods off the same amount of root space perhaps?

2015_08_30_15_02_41.jpg

2015_08_30_15_01_10.jpg

2015_08_30_15_01_22.jpg

2015_08_30_15_01_44.jpg

2015_08_30_15_02_02.jpg
Nice find. You had better grow out seeds from this. I have a carolina reaper that used to be similar to this, but half of it died because of aphids.

I had a red rocoto do something similar. It grew two plants out of one seed, had 4 coty. They were joined at the very base though and grew with two stalks. They were always more than half way behind the others (two plants, one root ball) I finally gave up on them, they were just growing to slow.

moruga welder said:
really cool !  what strain is it ?     :onfire:
Hey its Aji Habanero. One of Judy's spares that were added onto my original order. I wonder if this trait could actually be isolated and every pepper would have two stems, etc. Will definitely plant a few seeds off these pods (if it makes it) to see if this type of thing can be stabilised.

SentencedToBurn said:
Hey its Aji Habanero. One of Judy's spares that were added onto my original order. I wonder if this trait could actually be isolated and every pepper would have two stems, etc. Will definitely plant a few seeds off these pods (if it makes it) to see if this type of thing can be stabilised.
That would be very interesting.

iv got a couple of weird conjoined plants like that.

Iv got a 4 coty devils brain overwintering that was conjoined, and also 3 coty reaper that's also conjoined.(also overwintering)
That one of yours looks like it was a 4 coty?

nzchili said:
iv got a couple of weird conjoined plants like that.

Iv got a 4 coty devils brain overwintering that was conjoined, and also 3 coty reaper that's also conjoined.(also overwintering)
That one of yours looks like it was a 4 coty?
Yup its a 4 one, and all subsequent leaves are growing symmetrically. Pretty out of it man.

BigB said:
that would be nuts if it produced 2 different phenotypes 

Yeah different pods on the same plant would be awesome. Although they seem to grow identical, even spacing and shape of leaves, etc, like clones.

that's pretty cool, i've had plenty of seedlings with multiple cotyledons and conjoined pods but never a extra stem like that. Curious if it had two tap roots or just one. 

Back