• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container Container growing frustrations

Thank you for the information! Have a couple of questions though. What is seed meal? I buy 50 lb. bags of soybean meal or corn gluten meal to use as organic fertilizer for my lawn. Is that what he is referring to? My local garden centers carry bone meal and blood meal, but I have never seen the other items, such as dolomitic lime, or gypsum, or kelp meal, or basalt dust. Do you order this stuff online? Doesn't the shipping cost make it cost prohibitive?

Hi highalt,

Cotton seed meal, Linseed meal or Soybean meal are what's most commonly available. Alfalfa meal will also work.
I use all the dried coffee grounds I can get as the 'seed meal', because they're available to me 'free'.
Soybean meal is okay for established plants, but I'd avoid it in growing media intended for seeds because it can inhibit germination, tender seedlings may also be sensitive to it.

In my area all ingredients are available at the feed mills.

Peaceful Valley has ingredients, but as you said, the shipping may be too much.
http://www.groworganic.com/

If there are any organic market growers in you're area, they may be able to help you locate ingredients.

smile1.gif

Back