• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water Container Irrigation System

AlabamaJack

eXtreme
I have planned pretty well for 2008's garden. One challenge left is to design and develop the irrigation system that I will be using. I would love to use "drip" irrigation but have no experience with it. Determining pressures, pressure losses, flow rates, volume, etc. is no problem since that is my major field.

Do any of you use or have any of you used drip systems?

If so, would you share your "lessons learned" with me please.

I have an idea in mind. Would buying adjustable drip nozzles, IV tubing, and adaptors that puncture a heavy duty garden hose work? Timers will be used to control amount of water the plants get.

Both references are good. The one with the pictures seems to indicate it is easy to install, while the Lee Valey has some good information on the systems and equipment. Now to determine how much of a run I will need.I am probably goiong to need 300 feet for my plants.

LUCKYDOG said:
How many plants are you planning to grow? I have been researching Aeroponics and there are several on the net -- this is what I think I am going to do soon http://projects.greenmangardens.net/content/view/25/39/1/1/

I like the idea but I am going to have over 200 5 gallon containers in seven 48' rows. Spacing is 18" center to center. I will need at least 200 drip nozzles, 350 feet supply line, 300 feet connecting tube....

I got a feeling this is going to get expensive.

i set up the shrubblers for my mom's flowers cuz they're cheap and easy (unlike me ;)) the kit comes with like 25 nozzles or something but the extra ones are not expensive relatvie to others when you consider there are fewer seperate peices involved (of course you're still looking at 200ish dollars... moms setup was like 40). the only thing i wonder about is that it says its not good for vegetables but is good for containers, so i don't know where that leaves vegetables *in* containers...

billyboy said:
AJ, will you be pumping or gravity feeding from your reservoir?

Will be using city water regulated to less than 30 PSI

I guess with a constant pressure source you shouldnt have much to worry about as far as flow rates etc are concerned, though drippers do block up & require constant checking its also best if you can use drippers that can be pulled apart for clearing blockages in them which will happen.

Things that will determine how often you need to water would be What size pots will you be using, What growing medium you will be using, What stage the plants are at etc.

billyboy said:
I guess with a constant pressure source you shouldnt have much to worry about as far as flow rates etc are concerned, though drippers do block up & require constant checking its also best if you can use drippers that can be pulled apart for clearing blockages in them which will happen.

Things that will determine how often you need to water would be What size pots will you be using, What growing medium you will be using, What stage the plants are at etc.

The drippers clogging was something I read and they recommended 2 per plant. I will be using 5 gallon containers with a dirt/ compost mixture. since I have not bought it yet, I can use just about any growing medium I want. Cheaper is better. I can get compost for 20 USD a pickup truck load. I sould be able to get a little over 2 yards a load in my truck. I will have to adjust the flow as the plants grow...they will be in 5 gallon containers from about 7-8 weeks of age until the end of the season.

Water is a big concern here in Aus, and drip irrigation and mist irrigation systems are widely used.
For the following: XX metres(XXXX Feet)
Over here, you can buy a 50m(150) of 12mm(1/2 inch) poly pipe for around 5-10 bucks. The narrower tubing is similar in price (from my failing memory). The kicker is the fittings! Each one, particularly adjustable flow rate drippers, can be between 50c and $2.00
From experience, I run in my garden 30m(90) lengths up a slight gradient with no pressure problems (I am using a 45L/min pump) I generally tap the 12mm line for about 2-3m(6-9) lengths, with 3-4 drippers -- could probably handle more.

Adjustable flow rate drippers may be good for small patches, but from the sounds of it, you are probly better off just increasing frequency or length of watering to increase water to the plants.

I agree with billyboy in that beingable to clean them is a must! Also, consider inline filters to screen out some of the junk.

RS

Water here in North Texas is precious although most people don't care. I, for one, try and conserve water every way I can. The drip system seems to be the most efficient way to water my garden with, plus it is the least expensive method from a water usage standpoint.

I agree on the drippers being the most expensive part of the drip system so being able to clean them is a must. I like the set up that Grumpy Bear posted above in his response. It has the timer, regulator, and filter at the faucet then continues through the tube to the plants. They recommend drippers at 18" (~46 cm) spacing. That will be perfect spacing for my plants.

http://wetpots.com/
I've been using this even in coco run to waste it works great the roots wraparound them like a mat and they can't block up. see if you can get someone to make them for you someone with A kiln its just terracota... I been trying to get someone to make a mold for me but I think as they are OZY I probably get sued lol.
Its a very good product but.

I have never seen the wetpots before but that is a great idea for watering and water conservation. I will have to look into that in more detail. This is definitely what I would call "bottom watering" and you could continually fertilize in low concentrations. This would work well with a holding tank for rain water.

AlabamaJack said:
I have never seen the wetpots before but that is a great idea for watering and water conservation. I will have to look into that in more detail. This is definitely what I would call "bottom watering" and you could continually fertilize in low concentrations. This would work well with a holding tank for rain water.

I love the idea of the wet pots, but I can't find a closed bulb system like the ones selling in Australia. I can find plans for an open pot system, but I'm not sure that the heat and sun on an open pot wouldn't evaporate the water savings.

It's definitely something I'm going to keep an eye on, though.

I inquired about the drip system set up and design from "The Drip Store" (dripirrigation.com)...the following is my inquiry and their response:

"My Inquiry...
I am going to grow hot peppers in containers this year. 192 containers in six 48'rows. The rows will be spaced 3 feet apart and parallel to each other. Plants spaced 18" center to center. The rows will start approximately 25 feet from the faucet. What I need to know is the best design for this layout, the materials needed, and how much it will cost.

The response......
From standard hose bib/faucet use part number (VA016) for water assembly connection Connect ½’’.700 poly tubing (T002) to water connection and run out to water area.

Use compression fittings: Tee (LF005) Elbow (LF007) End Cap (LF013) Coupling if needed (LF001).

Run the ½’’ poly perpendicular to your rows then at each row using (LF005) tee off and run the ½’’ down each row.

To hold tubing down in the containers use (S008)

At each container use (A035) to punch hole into ½’’ poly tubing then insert PC drip emitter 1GPH (D001) to hole to create water tight seal.

At the end of each run install (LF013) end cap.

Flush out system with end open, close then run again to pressurize system.

I can suggest goof plugs if needed to plug unwanted holes (SF007).

With this option you can run the system around 45 to 1 hour every two to three days, depending on your location and soil type. After a week or two check the soil, the health of the plants, and adjust the watering time if needed."

Now to go price this recommendation and see how much it is going to cost me...

Back