• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water Container Irrigation System

AJ, your pepper plantation is going to huge. I understand why you need irrigation, but for me really enjoy turning the hose on and watering by hand, very relaxing. I would be real worried about a clog and my plants not getting the water they need so I'd still be watching over them like a hawk. Are you planning on leaving your plants unattended for any amount of time or is this just to make life simpler. I will get a soaker hose for the maters and just turn that on and off by hand too. You are making all of us better gardeners.

I started using selfwatering containers recently, based on the Eartbox design. Many people make the Earthbox clone using Rubbermaid containers.
I did a few of the Rubbermaid versions but the size is not right for peppers since they are a too big for a single plant but too small for more than one. I am now using the drywall buckets which are more appropriate for a single plant(and cheaper).

The results are dramatic since the plant is continously watered and also the bottom of the root section has access to air so the roots below grow in a less compacted manner.
Also the containers are covered with plastic so there is little evaporation loss.

The only con is you need to use a soilless mix like promix since they have the wicking capability.

There is a guide here:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg0501044214330.html?31

I am also going to run some pvc pipe to each one and use a lawn irrigation valve to automatically fill them. They use a water reservoir at the bottom with an overflow hole so they dont overfill.

selfkd2.jpg

self1bi9.jpg

The drywall bucket cover is used for the internal platform.
self2rb0.jpg

You can guess where I am from :)

Back