• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Container questions

Hello all. I will be trying a hand at container growing and have some questions. There is an overwhelming number of mediums out there and I'm curious to know what you guys are growing in. I'm exploring grow bags, 5 gallon buckets (too big?) and cheap potters. I'm looking for cheap solutions. Thanks in advance!
Ps- got my grow list posted if it helps, most will be in the ground though.

First an FYI that the "medium" is the material the plant actually grows in, such as soil, coir, etc. The containers are containers. The containers you grow in should fit your personal needs. If you're going to put them around your house like a landscaping element, then you'll want attractive pots. If you're simply going to group them together for utility purposes, use either what's cheapest or fits your other needs. I use plastic pots I picked up at Walmart - they were relatively inexpensive yet colorful, but I would have been just as happy with cheaper black plastic, if I could have found those in decent sizes (didn't find anything larger than 1 gallon at the time.) Plenty of people on this site use grow bags, which are convenient for storage when the season's over, so it's entirely up to you. Size depends on the plant. Most jalapeno plants don't get very large, so a relatively small container (like a gallon) is good enough for them. Douglahs and Rocotos get very large, so a 5-gallon is in order, at least to start with. Look at chileplants.com or other nursery sites to get an idea of how wide and tall a given variety usually gets. Here's a link to my grow log from a couple seasons ago, where you can get a fairly good idea of the different sizes of pots I use, again, depending on variety.

I had posted the same question a few weeks back and decided on a 5 gallon plastic Home Depot bucket. The plant that I transplanted into it is doing well. Just remember that if the bottom of the container does not have a hole or holes, you must drill some for drainage.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips. I realized after posting that my choice of wording was poor (feel a bit silly). I had planned on potting JalapeƱos, Red Savina, Fatalii, Peach Habs, and CGN27500. I'm having trouble finding much info on the growing habits of the CGN. I was also going to pot Douglah, but I will not after seeing how big the can be. Going to lowes today, as well as dollar store and possibly job lot. Thanks again!

Jalapeno will stay pretty small, and while the peach hab plants get larger than jalapeno plants, they don't get huge. Fatalii gets pretty big, but I haven't overwintered any yet. My douglahs are now in their 2nd and 3rd season, and the 3rd season one is almost as tall as me (including the pot it's in.) I haven't done Red Savina or CGN. Best wishes with your grow!

Back