• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Controlled pollinations what do you use?

Wondering what people use for controlled pollinations. Last year I started using pantyhose over one limb with a zip tie but that was for only a few plants I wanted to grow again. This year I'd like to have controlled pollinations on all of my plants around 90 or so to keep my seed pure for future grows. Anyone do this on a larger scale if so what/how are you using?

Not sure how many varieties you're doing but row covers might work if you have a bunch of one type. If you have a bunch of different varieties probably won't work. I bought a couple big rolls of tulle cloth and had them sewn into double layer bags to fit over the plant. I've heard of people using mosquito netting as well. You could do the glue thing but that would be a lot of gluing lol. I've never had much luck with gluing myself.

KrakenPeppers said:
Are you trying to isolate a plant or plants together ?
ideally I would like to do a single branch on every plant.  Just curious as to what others are using/doing. I may just end up buying a bunch of pantyhose. 

If only a single branch on every plant tulle would definitely work if you didn't want to use pantyhose. Most craft places like Michael's sell it by the roll. Cost me $20 for a big roll of it. You could wrap it around an entire branch and tie, twist tie or zip tie the ends. The roll I got was probably 2 ft wide and it's doubled so it's actually 4 ft wide and should be easy to wrap a branch. It's very fine material so sun doesn't have a problem penetrating. I've heard that mosquito netting works great as well and can be gotten cheap on ebay.

Single branch I would use pantyhose, the perfect length and tension for single branch application and it comes in varying densitys and is re-usable

Back