cooking with habanero

I just made a dry rub habanero steak.
Put lots of habanero powder on it and put it in the pan.
Holy Sh@t the fumes coming out was insane. I had to run out the kitchen every 10 seconds to catch my breath.
The fumes was so bad I had to eat my steak in the living room.
I'm still coughing and it's been more then an hour....
It was tasty ;)

How do you cook with habanero without killing yourself?

;) Honestly brother I have no clue and I'm not sure there really is a secret way of fixing this problem, but I can certainly relate! My wife threatens to leave me every time I cook with them or dry them in the food dehydrator as the painful smell lingers throughout the entire house. I personally love the painful sting in my eyes when cooking, it gives me that hoorah feeling of being a man, well perhaps a man with a few screws loose:lol:

Broil it in the oven, it is like an upside down grill. It will smoke a little, but not like a pan sear will. You want it on the highest rack right under the element. flip it after 3 minutes or so for mid rare.

Sorry, I got distracted! Rub the steak with a little canola oil and then season it with the hab powder if you are going to broil it. Good Luck!

Um......yeah, right. But he said that was NOT AN OPTION!....quit making him feel bad. He obviously doesn't have a grill. Sorry Habman! You know you can buy those little ones for like $15. IF you grow habs, I assume you have some outside space.(unless every square foot has a hab plant!) The broiler is a perfectly good way to get that steak cooked.

I put a rag over my face, then cook with habanero, then cough and cry and try to catch my breath.........Cracking a window open help just a little, but not much.

habman said:
I just made a dry rub habanero steak.
Put lots of habanero powder on it and put it in the pan.
Holy Sh@t the fumes coming out was insane. I had to run out the kitchen every 10 seconds to catch my breath.
The fumes was so bad I had to eat my steak in the living room.
I'm still coughing and it's been more then an hour....
It was tasty :lol:

How do you cook with habanero without killing yourself?

kinda made that mistake when I cooked my last chicken breasts,,,it didnt bother me but when my wife came home her eyes swelled shut and she had a hard time to breath from the peppers I was using...I cook with peppers now it has to be out doors...lol no matter how much trouble I got in I still get a chuckle outa that

Back