• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking cost of meat

for those of you who buy meat to smoke a lot what would you consider a good price is? Say for brisket, pork butt and ribs? I'm just wondering so I know if what I'm looking at is a good price or to go elsewhere.

In CT about $1-1.50lb on Butts, Spares about 15$ decent size and about the same for B-backs, Brisket almost $3lb -- I go to Bj's or Costco -- I think Sams Club has them as well - in the Cryovac packs - You can get 2 butts about 7.5lbs each for about 15$ some place take the blade bone out so you know. Briskets have been hard to find

the main reason i'm asking is there is a place near me with a special through today for pork butts at $0.89 / lb and i thought that seemed like a pretty good price. i may have to make a side trip on the way home.

Baby back ribs are typically around $9 a rack, but have bought them at Sam's Club for something like 3 rack for $21. Brisket depends alot if trimed or untrimmed( I prefer the untrimmed) as low as $0.39 lb and as much as $1.89 Lb.

i made the trip ended up getting :

pork butt roast @ $0.79 / lb
chicken wings @ $0.99 / lb

got about 5 lbs of each. total of about $9

moyboy said:
That's not called a girl friend....It's called a Scared old man!!!!!:lol:

He doesn't have anything to fear as long as he stays in the basement.

Now, back to the subject of meat. Depending on where you live, Filet Minong (sp) can be anywhere from $8 a pound to $24.

Back