Cost to run 400-watt MH? ANSWERED!

Just looking for confirmation that my numbers are correct for running a single 400-watt MH(I hope they're not!).

At $.11 per kilowatt hour, 18 hours a day, for 1 month would run me ~$165?

I'm currently running  4-T8 fluoros, but am unimpressed with the growth rate of my plants.  Just considering other options.

I'm getting 23 bucks. 400 watts times 18 hours a day times 30ish days. Divided by 1000 for watt to kilowatt and times .11.

If you take .11 cents x .4 (which is 400 watts) that give you the cost per hour of this light.

$0.044 cents per hour to run. Times 18 hours a day. Equals $0.792 per day.

$0.792 time 30 days equals $23.76 per month.

Hope this helps.

Cost Per Hour:

$0.044000

Cost Per Day:

$0.792000

Cost Per Week:

$5.544

Cost Per Month:

$22.18

Cost Per Year:

$288.29

It will actually be slightly higher since a 400w light really draws more than 400w.

Wow!  That chart I plugged the data into was off.  Whew!  I'm thinking I might be headed towards MH lighting. 

I'm told I can cover about a 3' x 3' space with that single MH.  Does this sound right?  Thanks a ton!! 

Thanks.  I guess it depends on the size of the reflector?  The one I'm looking at has what appears to be a glorified piece of sheet metal covering it.

the 23 dollar figure is probably the best estimate i have two  400 watt lights and and when i run them both our bill goes up around $40 but i usually go for 15hrs. the other thing to consider is the amount of heat that the light puts out.

Also remember that a high use device like this may push you over a KWH/month threshold, at which point you start paying more per KWH for the excess.

Back