• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics Couple more questions on foliar spraying...(PICS ADDED)

I have been mixing cal mag in a 1 liter capacity spray bottle at the recommended strength with tap water, spraying once a week at night time, and am seeing no improvement to my bubbly curled leaves. I am also liquid feeding cal mag coupled w/ neptune's harvest fish/seaweed 2-3-1 once a week (tap also). I am seeing zero signs of over fertilizing (already been there once this season), rather I am seeing no improvement to what appears to be a bad calcium deficiency - bubbly leaves on my c. chinese, with the the leaves curling upwards onto themselves. I know calcium takes a while to "act," but in the meantime I am considering switching to a bi weekly night time foliar feeding, using diluted water instead of tap, and upping the concentration of the cal mag, and continue the once a week liquid feeding. My other plants are kicking ass and taking names, just my trinidad perfume, datils, and choc habaneros are showing signs of cal deficiency. They are all planted in the same mediums etc etc etc.

It is possible that the old growth will remain deformed, look for the improvements in the new foliage and don't stress too much about how the old leaves look, IMO.

It is possible that the old growth will remain deformed, look for the improvements in the new foliage and don't stress too much about how the old leaves look, IMO.

Thank you for reminding me of the other question I had! haha. I had what looked like a nutrient/iron deficiency on some jamaican reds, after several weeks of feeding, the old leaves still look like crap, but the new ones are looking good to go.

Still curious as to anyone's take on the foliar feeding do's and dont's. I got the nighttime feeding nailed down with my last newb thread, just trying to perfect my methods.

Foliar spray threaed

Try diff. methods and find which works best for you and for your plant.

some also do an epsom salt foliar spray as well

Ha I started that thread. Got the nighttime tip from there. Just wondering if anyone thinks distilled really makes that much more of a difference over tap, and if in a spray the liquid fert should be blended to more, less or recommended dosage.

lol i didnt even realize that. with distilled its close to pure water but even rain water has its impurities. so i would say i wouldnt think it would matter. on foliar feeding fertilizer thats something i wouldnt do just because its fertilizer and i would be scared to use it on the plant leaves.

Ha I started that thread. Got the nighttime tip from there. Just wondering if anyone thinks distilled really makes that much more of a difference over tap, and if in a spray the liquid fert should be blended to more, less or recommended dosage.

I'll be able to answer that question in a few weeks. I'm taking a page from AJ's irrigational system and modifying it to meet my needs. I'm using 55 gal plastic barrels to collect/store water. I'm resurrecting an old ½ hp Hayward pool pump and have already purchased lots of PVC pipe to deliver the water/ferts to the plant's base. When everything is in place I will be able to water them anytime of the day all at the same time. Maybe a little root blaster might in order noting that they have been replanted about 10 days ago. Possibilities are endless!!

Sweet or what?

How much Cal-Mag are you mixing per liter? If your plants leaves are taco-ing (rolling from the edges inward), then they are being overfertilized.

How much Cal-Mag are you mixing per liter? If your plants leaves are taco-ing (rolling from the edges inward), then they are being overfertilized.

They were "taco'ing" before anything was done. All pepper were planted the exact same way: fert free fafards, with a small amount of tomato tone mixed in. The c chinese are the only ones bubbling, and bubbling to the extent that they are "tacoing". I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow. For the foliar i have been mixing a 1/4 teaspoon per liter, with limited results.

Yeah a picture would help cause I haven't a clue what bubbly leaves look like.

Here goes. They began to appear "bubbly" before I began any sort of liquid ferting or foliar feeding. One of the chocolate habs is planted in a large container with other non hab types, and they all look healthy and are thriving. It is just my hab type and datils which are looking this way, and they were planted in the exact same media mix as my other peppers. I assumed it was a calcium/nutrient deficiency so in the past 1.5 weeks I have liquid ferted with a 2-3-1 + cal mag (2-0-0 calcium, magnesium, small amount of iron) twice and foliar with a cal mag mix once, all at recommended mixing strength. Nothing has changed, in fact the trinidad perfume looks worse. All are in fert free fafards (no added ferts, just basic mix) with a small amount of tomato tone mixed in.

Datils

Choc hab 1

Trinidad perfume

Choc hab 2

Choc hab 3

Last season I grew 12 choc habs which looked just like choc habs "1 + 3". They produced really well for me and I still have a bunch in the freezer. Choc hab 2 on the other hand doesn't look as healthy and may fall into calcium/nutrient deficiency category.

The pics look exactly like my Chinenses -- but all my other peppers are growing normally. CalMag and Epsom has made no difference at all. The leaves are very bubbly, just like in your pics, and one plant is actually more severe than yours. However, the plants are all growing and look otherwise very healthy. I'll post a couple of pics later. I've decided to just ignore it and treat them like my other plants.

Same issue here, Datils and Choc hab ONLY. It's weird that yours are the exact same way.. Hmm..?

I am just going to liquid fert twice a week with fish/seaweed + cal mag maybe even plus epsom salt, and foliar once a week with a cal mag mist until they scream uncle. I have been doing the baby step method with careful fertilizing and if anything they look more calcium deprived.

Back