• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Covering seedlings.

Hi when it's 25 > 30+ C° should I continue to cover my seedlings with the transparent lid with air holes to increase the heat and humidity or just let them have raw sunlight

No second leaf stage yet although one does seem to have 3 first stage leaves?

Images taken yesterday.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_04391.JPG
    IMG_04391.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_04401.JPG
    IMG_04401.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 73
The direct sunlight will more than likely be way too harsh for the little seedlings and will burn them quite easily. You don't necessarily have to have them covered with the humidity dome, but off in a shaded area or covered with anything that can diffuse the sunlight and lessen the harshness of it would help. Though the humidity dome would definitely be the way I'd go as even in the same heat, I have 1 gallon grow bags completely dry out by noon from the heat even with 75%+ humidity outside. 

Hey Dave.  It looks like you're getting good germination results.

I keep them covered until they sprout then uncover them promptly.  If you leave them in a high humidity environment too long and then expose them to hot dry conditions (once they've become accustom to the higher humidity) they can suffer and even die.  The high humidity environment is helpful not just with germination generally, but in removing the seed coat if the sprout is struggling with that, which is why I try to keep humidity high until I see the sprout is out.  Since you have them outside, versus a controlled environment inside, protecting them against drying out or conditions that get too extreme is going to be particularly important until they get bigger and you have more margin for error.

EDIT - to Demented's point, if you can find an area of partial shade or that doesn't get mid-day sun, that can help a lot against drying out and conditions too extreme.  If they've been out for a couple days already you've probably seen how current conditions are affecting them.  If you just put them out, I'd definitely take precautions.  Personally, I start my peppers inside and don't move them outside until they have at least several sets of leaves.

Three cotyledons is not typical, but not uncommon.  The first true leaves should be normal.

Thanks guys I left the big tray uncovered today as the sun had his hat on and came out to play, and the leaves that were turning in on themselves yesterday are opening up a bit.

Then I took the cover off the Reapers as well.

Here are some photos I took just now.

I think they did like the raw sunlight.  Not too hot or bright at the moment, max 26 C°

Not much of a breeze.

At night they come in until things warm up here.

Can I use this thread to show the progress of my first attempt of growing from seed, saves opening new threads etc.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_04421.JPG
    IMG_04421.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_04431.JPG
    IMG_04431.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 62
dave65 said:

Can I use this thread to show the progress of my first attempt of growing from seed, saves opening new threads etc.

Thanks.
This should probably go in the Grow Log section,
if you are going to show the progress of these plants.
THP can move the thread to the Grow Logs for you.
Just click the 'report' button at the bottom of your
first post, and request a move.

BTW, I concur with CandDog, domes come off as
soon as the cotyledons are open.

Looks like you are off to a good start. Good luck
going forward, Dave!

Actually for the first 2.5 weeks I did not have the germination boxes, after I bought them they started popping up after 3 or 4 days.  :P

Wish I got them earlier.

Thanks.

skullbiker said:
About the same as here, but it’s only 8:00 am.

Early afternoon here, hope we have a hot one this summer, can get past 40C°

If I can get a Reaper crop off seed this year then I guess I can grow any pepper.

Will get kitted out for next season.

Great fun.

How do US grow zones relate to Europe ones, apparently I am in Europe zone 6?

Not ideal eh!

Thanks.

dave65 said:

Early afternoon here, hope we have a hot one this summer, can get past 40C°

If I can get a Reaper crop off seed this year then I guess I can grow any pepper.

Will get kitted out for next season.

Great fun.

How do US grow zones relate to Europe ones, apparently I am in Europe zone 6?

Not ideal eh!

Thanks.
I'm 99.99% sure the grow zones are comparable in the US and Europe. It's all just average minimum extreme temperatures. Zone 6 is like the middle of the country, up to the upper bits. Ohio, Kansas, Nevada, Illinois, New York, etc.

I'm in Zone 10b in my part of Florida which I believe is pretty similar to the southern most tips of Spain, Portugal, Italy, and northern parts of Africa. 9AM right now and it's 25.5*C with a high of 28.8*C later in the day, and it's such a windy day a branch with 4 of my bell peppers on it decided to give up the ghost and snap off, despite still being supported fully. 

South of Spain, Gibraltar, Morocco across a short stretch of water.  Nice growing Zone with lots of good water.

I need some gear for next year to help.

I have a feeling I am going to love growing chillies, my neighbours will probably think I am cultivating another sort of crop.

Thanks.

dave65 said:

Not growing Oranges here lol.

Your pepper results must be amazing.
Lots of oranges around me, about 25 yards from my back yard to the nearest orange grove.
Pepper results are OK, I manage to get a few.

Hi, been busy with life etc.

Some update photos taken today.

Attachments

• IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0664.jpg
    IMG_0664.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0665.jpg
    IMG_0665.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0666.jpg
    IMG_0666.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0667.jpg
    IMG_0667.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0668.jpg
    IMG_0668.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0669.jpg
    IMG_0669.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0670.jpg
    IMG_0670.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0671.jpg
    IMG_0671.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0672.jpg
    IMG_0672.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0674.jpg
    IMG_0674.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0675.jpg
    IMG_0675.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 69
The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

Looks like I am 8, right down at the bottom of France. That's not bad then.  Being in the mountains though the weather changes a lot, very wet here at the moment.

Have plants under cover.

edit....

Actually, right at the bottom of France you have a little green patch, that is where I am, in the Pyrenees, so I could be zone 7

Dave

Back