business Coworker wants to buy four bottles from me (at least)

I don't know if this is the appropriate sub-forum to post this in, but a coworker told me she wanted to buy some of my hot sauce after I gave her a complimentary bottle (we are both chili-heads--she's a 65-year-old Puerto Rican woman who gives me fermented chilis from time to time, and I give her my gringo shit) what do I charge her? How do I calculate this? She told me my sauce was better than what her father made, and then she spoke to him like he was listening to her in heaven. I think she was blowing smoke up my ass to some extent, but she actually offered to buy more sauce from me.

Judging by the last batch I made, I spent $12 on habaneros, and made six bottles. There's also cost of other things, such as wood for the smoker, coals, time. Vinegar, honey, etc. What should I take into account? I've worked with this woman for at least 4-5 years, and I don't want to overcharge her. I don't want to cheat myself, either. I'm not an entrepreneur; I'm just a dude who makes food that I enjoy.

I was thinking $5 per bottle, but idk. Maybe $25 for four? What do you guys charge?

BDASPNY said:
$5 is more than reasonable. id imagine the supplies are more than that for such a small batch.
Yeah, I mean.  I've thought about selling it for a bit more.  I don't know.  I feel like less folks would buy it and I wouldn't want to be lugging it around all the time. I'd rather it just disappear and I more or less break even with all the time and effort I put into it

Yeah, I mean.  I've thought about selling it for a bit more.  I don't know.  I feel like less folks would buy it and I wouldn't want to be lugging it around all the time. I'd rather it just disappear and I more or less break even with all the time and effort I put into it
at that price id of bought a couple of your sauces to try.

breaking even isn't bad when you're doing it for fun.

ProjectileTeeth said:
I don't know if this is the appropriate sub-forum to post this in, but a coworker told me she wanted to buy some of my hot sauce after I gave her a complimentary bottle (we are both chili-heads--she's a 65-year-old Puerto Rican woman who gives me fermented chilis from time to time, and I give her my gringo shit) what do I charge her? How do I calculate this? She told me my sauce was better than what her father made, and then she spoke to him like he was listening to her in heaven. I think she was blowing smoke up my ass to some extent, but she actually offered to buy more sauce from me.

Judging by the last batch I made, I spent $12 on habaneros, and made six bottles. There's also cost of other things, such as wood for the smoker, coals, time. Vinegar, honey, etc. What should I take into account? I've worked with this woman for at least 4-5 years, and I don't want to overcharge her. I don't want to cheat myself, either. I'm not an entrepreneur; I'm just a dude who makes food that I enjoy.

I was thinking $5 per bottle, but idk. Maybe $25 for four? What do you guys charge?

As of right now $5 a bottle is good.  Basically covers your costs.  I'm 12 years in and hot sauce is my side gig.  I sell for $7 a bottle, three for $$20.  My costs as a small batch maker are roughly $3 a bottle when you take everything into consideration.  Most often the bottle/cap/label cost more than the sauce going into them, even when I'm buying bottles 500 at a time. 

She gives you stuff sometimes?

You're in it for the fun and joy of it?

Unless you're going commercial....

Just give her the bottles.

Don't expect any thang in return.

The look on her face when you give them to her.

Will be worth it alone.

Never turn down an opportunity.

In this life.

To do something nice for somebody.

That costs you very little.

Back