• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

CPI SHU ratings for those who haven't seen them

This is from the paper on the moruga when it was declared the hottest. The, let's say, less than decent person Jim Duffy supplied the seeds and he is adamant that a choc 7 is the same as a douglah so who knows what that actually is. So for what its worth, here ya go.
6klkEtE.jpg

It's amazing to see the low end of the Bhut being at nearly 300,000 SHU. But no matter what anyone says there is a huge difference between the 7 Pot Brown and Brown Douglah. 

This is why the 7 Pot Brown makes such a good pod to cross with others is because of it's smaller range of heat, compared to the Moruga or others on there it does not deviate as much as other peppers out there. Like the Primo, it has a smaller standard of deviation. The Moruga, the red species at least was not bound to stay the hottest for long with its deviation. That's nearly 1.5 million in deviation, that's a lot. Where as the 7 Pot Brown is ~850,000, so that's the big difference. 

Ive had more 7 Pot Browns hotter than the Moruga to be honest, just because the moruga can have so many "duds"

There is huge variation in bhut jolokias. There is quite a bit in the other varieties too. There is quite enough variation in Trinidad Morugas to breed hotter ones I think. Look at what Butch did with the Trinidad Scorpion. I have some that are completely smooth and another strain that has lots of bumps. I have tons of different  strains of bhut jolokias and seen many out there (aside from crosses). The bhut strains I have seem to be very close to 7 pot original's heat and less than the TS Moruga. The TS Moruga seemed as hot as the Carolina Reaper. I don't trust these test results. I doubt the TS Moruga would go that low. Mine seem to have the same heat with no noticeable differences.

LawrenceJ2007 said:
It's amazing to see the low end of the Bhut being at nearly 300,000 SHU. But no matter what anyone says there is a huge difference between the 7 Pot Brown and Brown Douglah. 

This is why the 7 Pot Brown makes such a good pod to cross with others is because of it's smaller range of heat, compared to the Moruga or others on there it does not deviate as much as other peppers out there. Like the Primo, it has a smaller standard of deviation. The Moruga, the red species at least was not bound to stay the hottest for long with its deviation. That's nearly 1.5 million in deviation, that's a lot. Where as the 7 Pot Brown is ~850,000, so that's the big difference. 

Ive had more 7 Pot Browns hotter than the Moruga to be honest, just because the moruga can have so many "duds"

I'm pretty sure Jim Duffy said that it was the Douglah that was tested and not the Brown 7 Pod. I may be wrong though,that was a lot of hoopla ago.

Pr0digal_son said:
I'm pretty sure Jim Duffy said that it was the Douglah that was tested and not the Brown 7 Pod. I may be wrong though,that was a lot of hoopla ago.
That guy says a lot of things. I spoke with him on the phone and was planning to order that pepper (whatever it really is) and he insisted they are all the same. Fortunately, although I did not know any better at the time, I realized he was a dbag for so many other reasons and never ordered from him again.
Jeff H said:

Why on earth would you say that?
Na, he got me. Here is the real one:
rA7xrvJ.jpg

impending_bending said:
That guy says a lot of things. I spoke with him on the phone and was planning to order that pepper (whatever it really is) and he insisted they are all the same. Fortunately, although I did not know any better at the time, I realized he was a dbag for so many other reasons and never ordered from him again.
Na, he got me. Here is the real one:
rA7xrvJ.jpg

ROTFLMAO.gif

These e-vil peppers have over 4 "Quattuordecillion" Scovilles!
drEvil.jpg

Back