Crab Pots (DIY)

Any suggestions????;)

We will be on the bay in Gulf Shores AL in 2 weeks.

I have crabbed in North carolina and Florida before with the basic box made out of chickenwire crab pots.

Never had to make one though.

The plans I have seen call for a vestibule (or foyer or some other such thing that crabs probably don't need)

It involves an area above the bait for crabs to go into if they want to be alone........

Is this necessary???

Also, if anyone has any advice at all specific to Gulf Shores, it is appreciated!

Good Man Lucky!! Thanks.

I did find some similar plans, I just wondered if the "v" shaped 2nd floor is necessary.

The hardware store sounds like a better bet, if it is less that $40.

Are you going from a bridge or beach or something or dropping from a boat?

sometimes we use one that is shaped like a 3 sided pyramid from a jetty that when you drop it and it hits the bottom the 3 sides drop down and when Mister Crab comes in we pull it up cinching the top -- when the kids were young we would use a clothes pin attached to a string with a piece of hot dog clipped to it and get them (the crabs) close and snag it with a net or try and get them close enough to grab from behind -- a lot of fun in the low tide afternoon

From a pier.

We are after some fun, but mostly, I want at least 10 or so crabs for a steam pot!!

I want the kind you drop in and only bring it back up to tpull out dinner.

Thanks!

Look in the Phonebook,Crabs are Cheap and great eats.I spent a summer in that area working and there are several crab houses about.Lots of great seafood in that area.Use a small trap for the kids but you might end upo with all females,or small overall crabs not worth the trouble of cooking.

I agree scoville, but the fun of pulling up the trap to see what's in there, as well as the good recycling of leftovers for bait is my kind of fun.;)

Also, the whole ones can be boiled for great stock for a chowder.........MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

I know you have little ones Cheezy I think they would get a kick out throwin' a line out and try to catch them in a net, I mentioned hotdogs above but crabs arent fussy , chicken bones tied to a string works well too - get long handled net -- lots of fun -- I know you want to hit the mother lode like they do The Deadliest Catch -- just thinkin out load for wee ones

LUCKYDOG said:
- get long handled net -- lots of fun --

Thats how we used to go crabbing for blues when i was little......we'd wade out in the Shrewsbury river just up past the waist and nab 'em with the net. And we got a bunch of good sized ones too. My friend Nick used the chicken bone on a string trick you mentioned but with twist....he'd tie it around one of his ankles and wade around really slowly for a bit then stand still and they'd be swarming up onto him. Easy pickings with the net.

Exactly Sickmont -- sometimes you can see them swim right past you in the current - Most of summer camping at the beach is crabbing (in a good way :)) I usually get a clamming license as well.... I cant wait for summer now.

I used to run trot lines for them in the Potomac and in the Chesapeak out of Deale.200 + or - yard line,weighted at each end and a milk jug float.Just motor along with a roller rig stuck in the rod-holder.Net-em and stick -em in a bucket/cooler.Not legal here in Fla.Only allowed 5 traps,must be marked with a big R.(for recreational)Usually get stolen,emptied,or in the case of offshore for Stone Crab,The floats cut by Commercial Crabbers who think they only have the right to them!

Oh yes,If you can come across a crab seasoning called Swamp Fire,you must try it!Be carefull,and it's not for kiddies!

cheezydemon said:
So the HEAD of the village is near water Lucky?;)

I wish ... Im not very far about 1/2 hr and we camp, tan, fish there as well my Aunt lives near by so I visit and go clamming at her beach -- Someday maybe if my Powerball ever comes in

I hope it does Lucky!

Well, thanks everyone, I probably will just buy one while down there.

I think I have to mark and tag it, anyone know for sure?;)

I dont know myself - Ive never left a trap out only for green crab for fishing at the dock. Do many people go by the pier? Im thinking if some steals the contents like Scoville was talking about

Back