• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Crashed clam shells

Just wondering if anyone using these? I have not seen any posts on this. I had a couple of small clam bakes at the house and kept  the shells and crushed them the next day and added them to the compost, anyone else doing this? Benefits? Thoughts?

Oyster shells, uncrushed, get used some in the bottoms of containers to promote drainage. 

Mussel shells do get crushed and added to soil.  The hope is the shells are bringing nutrition from the sea to the plants; the nutrient-availability process may be a very long one, though.

Btw, I've never met a mollusc or crustacean I haven't loved.

One of the major benefits would be the added calcium, which peppers definitely need, and people do various other ways, such as eggshells, crab shells, etc. You may want to introduce it slowly to plants and see how well they like it, since like any mineral/nutrient, too much can have a negative effect.

I saved eggshells all winter.Crushed them all up,had a big bag full.Went to repot my overwinters 2 weeks ago,set the bag of shells by the door went to get the plants and my dang dog drugg the shells all over my carpeted living room.Not an easy cleanup,and the dog is still grounded.I would think your shells would be good if crushed enough.

burntends said:
        I saved eggshells all winter.Crushed them all up,had a big bag full.Went to repot my overwinters 2 weeks ago,set the bag of shells by the door went to get the plants and my dang dog drugg the shells all over my carpeted living room.Not an easy cleanup,and the dog is still grounded.I would think your shells would be good if crushed enough.

dog.png

Back