• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer Crazy Psychotic Homeowners Association or What Fertilizer to use?

My HOA is literally batshit crazy. I know from planting some trees that I can't use fish emulsion (I was fined by thte HOA for the smell - yeah seriously).  Do you guys have any suggestions for something that I can fertilize my peppers with that 

1) Is organic 
2) Does not stink (I'll get fined again) 

I know there are a lot of great options out there but I don't want to buy it only to find out the smell is going to set my HOAs douche bag alert off. I can't even have a compost bin here. I had one hidden in my back yard but these people with no lives saw it. I have no idea HOW unless they climbed my fence but I had to get rid of it. 

On a side note - HOAs are run by Satan's minions. They've foreclosed on four peoples homes here for unpaid fines or fees. 

Kelp meal is one of the best things period but it can smell a bit like the sea. Not near as offensive as fish though.
Alfalfa meal is great as are general purpose fertilizers like Espoma and Dr. Earth sell.

i don't think earthworm castings smell too strong. like dis

If you keep your fertilizer in a sealed 5 gallon bucket and dilute it into the water via mixer i don't think it'd smell too bad no matter what you used. see here

then of course there are just kind of granular/powder organic fertilizers that have little smell. clik meh

If you can't keep a compost bin, might I suggest a bokashi bucket or two? You collect your kitchen/yard waste in the bucket and layer with bokashi mix, then once it is full you let it ferment for a couple of weeks, then bury the contents in your yard to break down completely.

Also I use a liquid fermented kelp extract that smells a bit like soy sauce as is, but is unnoticeable once diluted.

HOA's LOL, welcome to Central Florida. That's one of the main reasons we moved to Titusville. We now have twice the amount of house we could afford in Orlando on the 14th Fairway of the Golf course and no HOA to bother us :)

+1 to filmost, I've just started learning about Bokashi and Korean natural farming techniques. The only smell off of it is a slightly sour vinegar smell. There are a lot of sites on the interwebs that will help you get started with it. Lots of How To's including how to make your own Bokashi bran. 

My HOA has actually praised me for converting part of the yard into a garden, so perhaps I'm enjoying the exception to the rule.  I've never pushed the boundaries with any particularly aromatic fertilisers though.  I do want to start a small compost bin/pile in the corner of my yard because paying for bagged compost is too expensive, and making the trek with the pick-up to the mushroom farm for their compost is an all-day affair done once a year.  I do a bit of juicing as part of my training regiment so every day I have a decent pile of very fine vegetable and fruit mash left over; it seems a total shame that it goes in the garbage instead of a compost heap.

My recommendation would be to move into brewing some AACT; it doesn't have a strong or offensive smell and you can variably root and foliar feed with it.

AldenMiller said:
I have one thing to say about HOAs.  Move.

-Alden

Ditto. Petty dictators. Never, ever, ever subject yourself to the whim of others when it comes to where you call home. I would use double the fish emulsion and put an extra large compost in my yard and tell them to kiss my free, American arse when they came complaining. Tell them to rule their own castle and stay away from everyone elses.

Koreansoul said:
When you say "Smells of the sea" do you mean "Oh what a lovely day here on the beach" or "OMG there is a dead whale here please someone help me"? lol

Does the odor dissipate quickly? 
Kelp is seaweed so it smells like that but its not a strong smell. Outdoors it may not even be noticeable as my only experience has been when using it indoors on seedlings.

Did the HOA cite which bylaws were violated and justified the fine?  If they attempted to use any provisions that cover "garbage or refuse storage" then those are not applicable.  HOA are in place to attempt to maintain property values for ALL homes by ensuring that reasonable community standards are kept up.  These are typically for property maintenance (visual) and safety (ex. abandoned pools, inadequate fences).  Unless your community has specific bylaws governing gardening then I would politely respond that they have no grounds to fine you.

KingLeerUK said:
Did the HOA cite which bylaws were violated and justified the fine?  If they attempted to use any provisions that cover "garbage or refuse storage" then those are not applicable.  HOA are in place to attempt to maintain property values for ALL homes by ensuring that reasonable community standards are kept up.  These are typically for property maintenance (visual) and safety (ex. abandoned pools, inadequate fences).  Unless your community has specific bylaws governing gardening then I would politely respond that they have no grounds to fine you.
Yes, This.

Period.

Back