• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Creatures from the grow this week.

This guy is living under the Topsy lid, fertilizing the jolokia:

IMG_1919.jpg

A fairly large beetle:

IMG_1962.jpg

I just planted some eggplant, and this guy is new to me:

IMG_1982.jpg

And there was something on the fatalii's from CCN, too:

IMG_1960.jpg

Always interesting seeing the new creatures. There was also a spider who rolled up a leaf w/ web, but I couldn't capture him.

Today was my first day of sunshine in a while, I saw some new bugs too... Didn't think to take my camera out there...

One looked like a super extra large brown stink bug (though slightly disproportionate - longer than I'd expect).

Are those aphids in the last pic? I would FREAK OUT if I saw that.

I don't know why, but I love frogs! They are also a sign that your over all environment is healthy. Think of it as good luck.
Thanks for the pics +1

I *think* it's a Soldierbug or what some call a "wheelbug" or Assassin bug near the eggplant. Looks like one transitioning from nymph to adult and he/she hasn't "browned up" yet. Saw a bunch of Soldierbug nymphs today - they are like nasty looking scorpion things with red tails when small, then turn into a giant stinkbug-looking thing with a lance on the front end. They will bite you if you antagonize them - but they are voracious eaters of bad bugs. So the enemy of my enemy is my friend!

Neat creatures: http://www.hiltonpon...Week030901.html

Today was my first day of sunshine in a while, I saw some new bugs too... Didn't think to take my camera out there...

One looked like a super extra large brown stink bug (though slightly disproportionate - longer than I'd expect).

Definitately aphids on that last pic... so disgusting

Commercially available sprays will do a nice job getting rid of those.

You can shoot them with some neem oil (are you organic?) or you can shoot them with some generic aphid spray.

Either way.. pretty easy, yet necessary, to get rid of.

Also.. looks like your plants could use some water.

Definitately aphids on that last pic... so disgusting

Commercially available sprays will do a nice job getting rid of those.

You can shoot them with some neem oil (are you organic?) or you can shoot them with some generic aphid spray.

Either way.. pretty easy, yet necessary, to get rid of.

Also.. looks like your plants could use some water.

Yeah, it's been a little tricky balancing out the 93F days and the afternoon rainstorms this past week or so ...

Love the frog.

That pic of the aphids is the top half of the plant (that I pinched off) - I'll continue to monitor closely though, thanks for the tip.

That is a great resource Grant.

I've spent the last half hour or so reading about the different bugs in our area. Not all stink bugs are good it would seem.

But its news to me that they aren't all bad either.

Notices a huge toad hanging out in my garde nthis early evening. He looked FULL.

that makes me happy. Between him and the large numbers of assassin bugs, there has been little to no insect damage this week.

This guy is living under the Topsy lid, fertilizing the jolokia:

IMG_1919.jpg

A fairly large beetle:

IMG_1962.jpg

I just planted some eggplant, and this guy is new to me:

IMG_1982.jpg

And there was something on the fatalii's from CCN, too:

IMG_1960.jpg

Always interesting seeing the new creatures. There was also a spider who rolled up a leaf w/ web, but I couldn't capture him.

I received my CCN shipment today as well. I had similar looking stuff on the leaves (undersides) of some of the 7 pots, but it's not aphids. I have seen aphids before an they actually move around wiggle and can be easily scraped off with a toothpick. This stuff is something different - it doesn't scrape off easily at all and almost looks like it is growing out if the underside of the leaf. Fungus maybe? I didnt pinch the affected tops off mine, figured it would be too much at once while transplanting, so I'm going to watch it and hope it doesn't kill the plants. Anybody got a clue as to what it is? I'll take pics tomorrow.

I received my CCN shipment today as well. I had similar looking stuff on the leaves (undersides) of some of the 7 pots, but it's not aphids. I have seen aphids before an they actually move around wiggle and can be easily scraped off with a toothpick. This stuff is something different - it doesn't scrape off easily at all and almost looks like it is growing out if the underside of the leaf. Fungus maybe? I didnt pinch the affected tops off mine, figured it would be too much at once while transplanting, so I'm going to watch it and hope it doesn't kill the plants. Anybody got a clue as to what it is? I'll take pics tomorrow.

I agree that it seemed brittle and lifeless ... crystallization of something fed? ... I dunno ... I can say, however, that Janie mentioned having climate this season that made it more of a problem then years past ...

An update though, my plants are doing quite well, and it was a hot, windy week here ...

Back