• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Critter control/prevention?

Hey guys, I just started potting up my plants and began the hardening off process. However, I put out a tomato plant last week and already had the soil slightly dug up. I'm pretty sure they're squirrels as they've left peanut shells on my deck in the fall. There's nothing else I can think of that would dig up plants in the city on an elevated deck.

Now I plan on rigging something together like a chicken wire/mesh housing to leave my plants under so they can't get in, but for the time being until I can get around to doing that I need some other preventative measure. I've heard that cayenne pepper would work but I'm not sure how to go about doing this. Do I sprinkle it on top of the soil? What happens when I water the plants will I need to re apply? Also, will this affect the plant growth or the roots?

I had to make a 4x8 by 3 feet tall box so to speek then cover that in deer netting from top to bottom. I have one the worst animals problems ever!!! Deer come in huge numbers like 10-20 at a time, I have ground hogs that come on the deck, squirrels everywhere!!!!! So at my property I only get to have a 32 square foot container garden, at lest it is protected and I know I will harvest.

I had to make a 4x8 by 3 feet tall box so to speek then cover that in deer netting from top to bottom. I have one the worst animals problems ever!!! Deer come in huge numbers like 10-20 at a time, I have ground hogs that come on the deck, squirrels everywhere!!!!! So at my property I only get to have a 32 square foot container garden, at lest it is protected and I know I will harvest.

I would recommend a .223

Only shooting them @ night of course ;)

j/k for anyone who thinks I'm serious

Why not powder up some Bhuts and sprinkle it around your plants? I do that for skunks out my way. Only works for mammals though... Birds don't even feel it.

Unfortunately I don't have any bhuts at the moment. Got a bunch of bhut plants right now which are just starting to bud.

I'm probably just going to try sprinkling the cayenne pepper in the soil and see how that works.

Cayenne works great ! Like washing your car it will make it rain ! You can cover the plants with a milk crate if they are small enough.

Back