• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

breeding Cross Pollination

Last year I had a very nice harvest of Cayennes and a Tobasco-like pepper. All were very hot. Which meant that only a couple of buddies and myself could enjoy them. So this year I decided to grow peppers across the whole heat spectrum. Here's what I've sprouted:

SWEET

Golden Treasure
Aji Duce #2

MEDIUM HOT

Mirasol
Black Czech
Bulgarian Carrot

SUPER HOT

Red Habs
Scotch Bonnet

Now, a couple people have told me that I need to keep the sweet and mild ones far away from the hots. Supposedly if the bees move from the habs to something like a sweet bell peppers, then the sweet pods will also be hot.

My understanding was that cross pollination is only a concern if I were to pull the seeds for next year. Then I would sprout some type of hybrid which would have unpredictable results.

Now I'm Confused. Which is the right scenario? I don't plan on extracting seeds. I just want to keep the mild ones to stay mild for family that's not into that enjoyable burn. :hell:

First, welcome aboard... You will undoubtedly find the answers to all of your pepper questions here. This site is full of pepper gurus :)

I have heard the same thing about the cross pollination only affecting the seeds and thus the next generation would become a hybrid. As long as your not going to be using the seeds I think you should be safe, JMO.

I knew that I read this somewhere...

Taken from:
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/vege...-cucumbers.htm

Which brings us to the next fallacy of the wives tale. This is that the cross breeding will affect the fruit that grows in the current year. This is not true. If two plants cross pollinate, you won’t know it unless you try to grow the seeds from the affected plant.

Hope this helps you. Just remember that any plants that you want to save seeds from, keep them separate from the others...

Pepperfreak said:
Which brings us to the next fallacy of the wives tale. This is that the cross breeding will affect the fruit that grows in the current year. This is not true. If two plants cross pollinate, you won’t know it unless you try to grow the seeds from the affected plant.

Hope this helps you. Just remember that any plants that you want to save seeds from, keep them separate from the others...

This is most informative. Thanks for the quick responses.

Back