• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

breeding Crossing bell pepper and perhaps jalapeno' ?

Hey has anyone thought of crossing bell pepper with perhaps a jalapeno? Would it even be possible? Or would it require genetic code manipulation?

If you have a lab where you can manipulate DNA, I would like wings. I believe it is possible seeing as they are both annuums, just mess around with them and see.

heh i was planning on trying something like this once my plants started setting pods.

i have a california wonder bell plant and i'm trying to decide which of the others i want to attempt a cross with

QuadShotz said:
Yeah, I would like a Fatali the size of a bell pepper.... :D

Or a Fatalii that tastes like a bell!:stop: Once my Chinenses start blooming Im gonna get cross happy with those and some Orange Thai's, Can't wait!

index.php

Assuming you can cross a chinense with a baccatum, i'll be making a fatalii x lemon drop cross. If you can't, i'm going to try a Fatalii x Scorpion cross for shits and grins.

Txclosetgrower said:
Assuming you can cross a chinense with a baccatum, i'll be making a fatalii x lemon drop cross. If you can't, i'm going to try a Fatalii x Scorpion cross for shits and grins.

If Im reading the chart (that wont let me post here) correctly Baccatum and Chinenses f1 should germinate normally both ways ( with male as parent)

You could definitely cross a bell and a jal but you may not get the results you are looking for, and you'd have to grow out many plants for many years to isolate desired traits and to make it stable

yea thats the only drawback, you might get some pretty cool peppers on the way tho, thats one thing im looking forward to.

how many flowers do you think you'd have to cross polinate, cause i mean you can get quite a few seeds from one crossed pod depending on what the parent plant is.

FATALII as usual has a pretty good writeup on the hows and whats of breeding. It's pretty easy, really, and yes you certainly can cross-pollinate a bell with a jalapeno (or any other c. annuum for that matter). The seeds will be viable, and I'd say you could probably get a stable result within a few generations, if you're being careful and taking notes along the way. If you think about it, you could produce a few generations a year if you've got your shit together.

You can go to the Fatalii link and you will find a graph showing what will cross with what and how viable the results will be.

I want Habaneros the size of Bell Peppers grafted to the rootstock of a tree, so I can have a Habanero-Bell Tree growing in my yard.

Someday... Someday.:rolleyes:

Its tough to do these types of crosses or they'd have been done before, I know I've tried. From my understanding some of the dominant characteritics when breeding peppers include: low heat, red colour, and large size.

There are some hotter Anaheim and Poblano types but nothing too serious, at least nothing very stable that I know of

POTAWIE said:
From my understanding some of the dominant characteritics when breeding peppers include: low heat, red colour, and large size.

Do you know of any articles, books, etc. that discuss chili traits in more detail?

Back