• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Crossing Pubescens with Baccatum by using Eximium as bridge?

Peppermafia said:
The hard part will be a baccatum x eximium cross. I am getting closer and maybe it's just getting the right ones but it will take a while to find. I have a f2 of a pubescens x 19198 that is looking good and will be what I try to
Cross if I ever get a baccatum x eximium
Cool! There is some C.eximium varietes and I don't know what I have. It's white flower and that is quite unique. Do you have photos somewhere? It's weird that you can try to cross baccatum x eximium but it does not work if you trying eximium x baccatum cross. If the all information of crossbreeding these species is correct. 

I'm currently growing a white-flowered eximium - though for me the flowers have light-purple tinged margins, most prominent in cooler weather - and it's one a few eximium this season (also CAP's 1491 and 500) that I tried crossing with baccatum (purple flowered baccatum and aji giallo), all without successful pod set.  I also tried baccatum x tovarii this season without pod set. I haven't tried cardenasii / baccatum, though I have multiple cardenasii accessions and perhaps I should.

There should be no difficulty whatsoever in crossing among eximium, cardenasii, and rocoto in whatever direction, as they seem to hybridize viably among themselves as well as they self-pollinate.  I've done multiple crosses among these without any issue - the bigger problem is preventing them from accidently out-crossing, especially cardenasii.

Coming at this from the other direction, baccatum / eximium crosses I expect will prove highly challenging.  Studies exist addressing successful interspecific cross rates for baccatum (though none involving eximium to my knowledge) and the results are dismal.  There are also studies addressing prezygotic and postzygotic barriers to interspecific hybridization and indicating that the direction of the cross may be dispositive as to inviability.

Regarding the old 1980's "cross-ability" chart.  I wouldn't put a lot of faith in it for a number of reasons, plus it can be misinterpreted, e.g., NG = Normal Germination, but it doesn't mean that viable seed was obtained.  Although I've determined the article (not study) from which the chart came, I've never seen citation of the charts source(s) and I've never found studies independently that supported certain of its assertions.

In my opinion, based on what I've read and experienced, this isn't a matter of it not happening simply because no one's tried it.  I find it interesting though to experiment with these types of things and see what my results are.

I have bad luck or something. One seed is now bloated and the thinner seed had black inside and does not look fertile. Hopefully one of those two seeds will germinate. If not then I have to start again pollination process.

Upper seems healthy? 

Fruxim was a hybrid going around a few years ago, supposed to be frutescens x eximium. It's not, as there are zero eximium traits in it. 

Eximium will cross with pubescens and cardenasii. I've had both crosses and both are fertile and easy to make. Cardenasii will preferentially cross with either, rather than itself. Known as Rocopica, in general, these crosses can be tricky to germinate at F1/F2. I would also bet a lot of money that eximium will cross with eshbaughii, but it's not been tried so far. Maybe next year.

As for eximium x baccatum, chinese, etc etc etc. I just can't see it. Adding a "bridge" that contained pubescens doesn't help, given pubescens won`t cross with anything but eximium and cardenasii. In fact there are certain types of pubescens that exhibit self-incompatibility. 

The Rocopica XL crosses are almost certainly Rocopica x pubescens.

Anyone with a fully functional plant genetics lab could probably do the crosses, given plenty of time. 

Karpasruuti said:
I have bad luck or something. One seed is now bloated and the thinner seed had black inside and does not look fertile. Hopefully one of those two seeds will germinate. If not then I have to start again pollination process.

Upper seems healthy? 

The upper seed looks healthy.  Just allow plenty of time.  As to the lower one, I've have seeds with dark centers sprout just fine.  It's also possible that the dark spots could mean there's something wrong with the seed.  Wait and see - and good luck!

Nigel said:
Fruxim was a hybrid going around a few years ago, supposed to be frutescens x eximium. It's not, as there are zero eximium traits in it. 

Eximium will cross with pubescens and cardenasii. I've had both crosses and both are fertile and easy to make. Cardenasii will preferentially cross with either, rather than itself. Known as Rocopica, in general, these crosses can be tricky to germinate at F1/F2. I would also bet a lot of money that eximium will cross with eshbaughii, but it's not been tried so far. Maybe next year.

As for eximium x baccatum, chinese, etc etc etc. I just can't see it. Adding a "bridge" that contained pubescens doesn't help, given pubescens won`t cross with anything but eximium and cardenasii. In fact there are certain types of pubescens that exhibit self-incompatibility. 

The Rocopica XL crosses are almost certainly Rocopica x pubescens.

Anyone with a fully functional plant genetics lab could probably do the crosses, given plenty of time. 
Even if I would like a professional to handle the crossbreed, it is part of the fun to try it for yourself. No one forbids sourcing seeds from other hybrids. In the past I had germination problems with eximium whose seeds were from Italy. Rocopica does not cross with anything else than pubescens and wtih some wild species?

Back