• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Crushed Red Pepper genetics

In my search for specific alleles and genetics for my breeding projects I have been looking for large, long and thin fleshed cayenne type peppers phenotypes. 

In searching for information about certain name brand crushed red pepper I learned that the material is a blend of several types of pepper and those types vary considerably according to batch.  The types of pepper involved are typically cayenne, however there are hundreds of varieties of cayenne and merely knowing they are in the cayenne complex provides little meaningful information other than that the seeds are Capsicum annum. 

I have observed that viable seeds can be found in many brands of crushed red pepper and in many cases they come from well developed commercial varieties that have already undergone selection for consistency and productivity. However in many cases commercial production of cayenne types also involves F1 hybrids and the seeds that result (F2) are not homozygous and produce an assortment  of phenotypes. 

I searched for this type of topic and found scant information about the subject. 

Today I started about a dozen seeds of assorted sizes and shapes, all being sourced from a popular brand of crushed red pepper beginning with Mc. I will update and report on the results as I am able. 

Edaxflamma said:
Do you plan to do any molecular work to get a better handle on the genetics or just see what comes out of the jars phenotypically?
 Budget willing I would like to test ideal specimens for genetics for a better understanding of their taxonomic position but I will rely upon observation, selection and test crossing first and the bioinformatic aspects later. 

I wish I had a desktop PCR device and could just drop a seed into it, get a sequence and BLAST it but for a hobby cultivator like me (something like) that isn't even an option despite having taken collegiate Bioinformatics, Genomics and Proteomics years ago. 

Genetics is one of the fastest growing and most interesting fields of research and I have some collegiate VPT (vascular plant taxonomy) experience as well and I would love nothing more than being able to make use of the amazing technologies humanity is developing lately. 

Even if you don't get the chance to do any wet genetics work, I think a survey on observable differences between spice suppliers would still be pretty neat. It might be a labor of love but I would follow the heck out of that project haha.

Edaxflamma said:
Even if you don't get the chance to do any wet genetics work, I think a survey on observable differences between spice suppliers would still be pretty neat. It might be a labor of love but I would follow the heck out of that project haha.
Right?!

I'd like that too. 

Currently I am just looking through easily available cayenne material to see if there are any traits that will be of use in a breeding project and my space is quite limited however given a chance I would love to do a project where I can compare as many forms of as many Capsicum as possible. 

I suspect that this brand or batch of crushed red pepper is not viable.

The red pepper they came in was purchased several years ago and not stored well insofar as seeds are concerned.

Either the batch is too old or the method of production involves high temps that kill the seeds.

A couples of years ago I planted seeds from crushed red pepper I found in my mothers kitchen and it grew well.

I had hoped that would be the case here but... nope.

I planted 23 types of Capsicum last month and the crushed red is the only seed that hasn't shown any signs of germination with the exception of some seeds I planted (experimentally) from some oven dried Ghost peppers. Those roasted ghost seeds didn't germinate either but I expected that result and tested them anyway.

Back