• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Cuban Mint

I came across some mint in a veggie stand today marked Yerba Buena.It's the Cuban name for Cuban Mint/Mojito Mint.The cat selling it didn't know much about it,but I trimmed it and stuck it in a glass of water to root.The Cuban Mint is flavored differently than Spearmint,suposodly makes all the difference in a Mojito.I'm wodering if anybody else is growing this so I can verify it's authenticity.It has very purple stems unlike my Spearmint.Thanks!

Mentha × villosa (M. spicata × M. suaveolens) - Also called Mentha nemorosa, large apple mint, foxtail mint, hairy mint, woolly mint, Cuban mint, mojito mint, and is known as Yerba Buena in Cuba.

It's mojito time!

Don't know what they look like.

scoville ..... sounds cool ! I've tried to find mint plants that taste like the mint used in Thai food without any luck. I've tried for years. Always have to go get from the Thai market for it.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

THP,I'm getting Mentha x Villosa,and Mentha x Nemarosa,seems to be a bit of confusion on it.Cubans call it Yerba Buena,but West Coasters also have a wild mint called that.I guess I'll have to buy some just to compare and see if I have the real deal!
P.Dreadie,if you can get what you like at the market,just cut off a half inch and stick it in a glass of water,stuff roots real easy.
I just don't know if the guy supplying what I got calls all mint Yerba Buena!

I know nothing about it I just copied that for you. I did read where a horticulturist said the real Cuban mint = mentha nemorosa.

Back