• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

scovilles Cumari scoville rating?

I keep seeing these listed at 30-50k (yellow chinense one), not sure what the source is but that's what every site says. I can't seem to find where they were actually tested. They have them grouped with chiltepin, tobasco, and cayenne. Does anyone else think that these are far hotter than all of those? To me eating one tiny cumari pod is like eating a small to medium sized orange habanero. I can munch on chiltepins fairly easily, but eating a fresh cumari really lights me up when I chew it up well.

I know the heat is subjective, and burn doesn't always correlate exactly with Scoville units (at least the HPLC test converted into Scoville units, which is what we actually see), and when eating a cumari pod you're getting 100% of the membrane and seeds, but I don't see any way these could be that low. It seems to me like they should be least a couple hundred thousand.

I agree Tyler!!!
these little yellow fireballs are extremely hot to me!!
Way hotter than any Tepin or Tabasco that I have grown!!
Like you said the full heat of a Habanero!! :cool:

Kevin

I think I have seeds for these I forgot to plant. Little pods just bigger then a Tepin, right?

Cumari ou passarinho growing this year.

I think I have seeds for these I forgot to plant. Little pods just bigger then a Tepin, right?

Mine are slightly smaller than the chiltepin I'm growing. About the size of a pea.

I gave 3 people at work one the other day, they all eat and like spicy food but don't have tolerances like most of us here. After about 30 seconds they were all chugging milk and saying "what the hell was that?!". All said it was hottest thing they've ever eaten (none have ever eaten a superhot as far as I know) and one said her stomach was messed up for 3 days . :lol:

Eating one is like eating a ring cut out of a bhut jolokia, they are hot. Far hotter than any other bird pepper I've eaten. I've eaten a lot of fresh chiltepins and they're not even in the same ballpark imo.

How is the heat and flavor on the Cumari ou passarinho like? I've been thinking of growing that one next year, looks interesting.

Eating one is like eating a ring cut out of a bhut jolokia, they are hot. Far hotter than any other bird pepper I've eaten. I've eaten a lot of fresh chiltepins and they're not even in the same ballpark imo.
By saying that you're basically saying it's as hot as a Bhut Jolokia.
The C. chinense version I grew was quite hot. comparable to my orange Habaneros.

By saying that you're basically saying it's as hot as a Bhut Jolokia.
The C. chinense version I grew was quite hot. comparable to my orange Habaneros.

Not exactly, because a ring of bhut jolokia usually has much less membrane/seeds like a whole cumari. But yeah, eating a whole cumari pod burns my tongue as much as an equally sized amount of the regular flesh of an average bhut jolokia at least. I'm sure that sounds crazy but it really does. The average bhut jolokia is probably more like 600-800k though, not the 1 million NMSU test that was an outlier.

Not exactly, because a ring of bhut jolokia usually has much less membrane/seeds like a whole cumari. But yeah, eating a whole cumari pod burns my tongue as much as an equally sized amount of the regular flesh of an average bhut jolokia at least. I'm sure that sounds crazy but it really does. The average bhut jolokia is probably more like 600-800k though, not the 1 million NMSU test that was an outlier.
Normally you would be right, but have you ever opened up a Bhut Jolokia? :lol:
Anyhow, the average Bhut is around 600,000SHU. my Cumari weren't as hot as you describe them.

Normally you would be right, but have you ever opened up a Bhut Jolokia? :lol:
Anyhow, the average Bhut is around 600,000SHU. my Cumari weren't as hot as you describe them.

Yeah, about 60 times so far this year. :D If I take a thin slice out of the middle there usually isn't a ton of membrane and maybe only a seed or two, not like a Douglah anyway.

Yep I got some cumari mid season last year from ajijoe. They tasted just like a fatalii and were yellow. Not too sure on the passarinho, got them from Tonly and that was end of last season when he sent me some pods. Honestly can't remember their flavor. Will soon find out and will send some to you. Open pollinated but you will at least be able to taste then get seed if you like them.

Back