• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Curious...

A couple varieties of peppers I'm growing this year are doing something I consider to be strange. Well, I think it's strange, anyway. The congo trinidad's are one of them - not sure that really makes a diff or not, but in case it does, that variety is having most of this particular issue. What's happening is that the pods are splitting. At first I thought maybe I had left some pods on the plant too long after they ripened. However, it's getting to be more and more pods, and that's even happening to green pods. It's almost like the pods are getting too big for their skins, so they start splitting. The plants themselves look fine - no signs of nasties hanging around. I've cut a few of the pods open, and find nothing nasty inside, either. Seriously, the only thing that appears to be going on with these is the skin spliting. Have you seen this type of thing, and do you know what might be causing it? Again, it's happening to green pods as well as ripe ones, so I'm a bit puzzled.

Yep, provided it's not a bug or disease, over watering during pod development.
Try a dose of potash and some Epsom salts to strengthen your fruit and keep an eye on their moisture.

Thanks - I appreciate your input, as I wasn't thinking of that. We have had WAY too much rain the last month or so - wish I had room to bring them all indoors!

Happened to me last year and as strange as it sounds it was my Trinidad Congos that first showed signs of it. That was after a few days of straight rain.

Best of luck with the rest of your plants.

I was blaming my 3 year old son for smushing them with his fingers. Moved the plant and it was still happening... good to know what might have caused it now.

Yep - same thing happened to my trinidad congos - 2 or 3 of them split. the good news is that the split skins didn't make a difference in the hot sauce I made out of them last night!

Tay-stee!

Same thing causes corking from what I can tell.

It always happened to me last season when the pods would develop durring a drought and then we get a bunch of rain while they are ripening.

Back