• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

curled leaves on my Butch T's?

Not sure i flushed them out today with water a a ph of 6. They are growing in rockwall cubes and i feed them maxsea all purpose seaweed compound which is 16-16-16

They are the tallest of my peppers i have growing. Do these have a red stem naturally or is that bad?

cool thanks for posting the video habaneroheat81

thank you too mhayenga

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79761650@N04/7139326733/in/photostream/

Are the butch t stems supposed to be red? Never grown these before.

The reddish purple color is anthocyanin a chemical compound produced to protect the plant from too much light or heat. they do seem quite leggy especially for chinenses though

The reddish purple color is anthocyanin a chemical compound produced to protect the plant from too much light or heat. they do seem quite leggy especially for chinenses though
:surprised: Is that bad? I been putting my small seedlings under 24/7 light. they all have reddish purple color stems. I did that for my last round and they grew fast (not leggy) and are now outside under natural light.

My next wave of seedlings are exactly the same.
CIMG0011.jpg

i run mine at 18 hours a day. i had them to far from the lights so i think that's why they became leggy. These are the only chile plants that did this. i'm getting ready to buy a new light that will work better and cover more space. Right now i'm using shop lights with bulbs from the hydro store.

You can run the lights 24/7 for the first 2-3 weeks after they emerge from the soil without harming them, some people will say it helps them grow. After that time though a 16on/8off cycle is what works good (for me anyways). The plants need a dark period to complete their metabolic cycle of life.

plants need a few hours 4 or so id say @ least to respirate, yes if they are too far from the light they will get leggy, w/ the exception of the really intense lights an inch or two away is perfect, good luck! btw, the only recognizable difference between plants producing anthocyanin is a slight increase in astringency or acidity! some scientific research has shown that the antioxidant flavonoid has the possibility of anticarcenigenic affects as well as improving eyesight, having anti-inflamatory properties, reversing the effects of high blood sugar(diabetes) on the renal and nervous systems, ( im sure you have heard of the health benefits of antioxidant fruits like blueberries and pomegranites, dark fruits are very high in antocyanins)Also they have done studies on the increase in stomach mucous link to anthocyanins, which help to protect from ulcers and other damaging conditions like acid reflux.anyway it wont hurt your plants at all, id be more worried about how leggy they are, but you can fix that by burrying them up tho the first set of leaves. good luck!

I'd top them babies. They are wayyy to leggy. Won't be able to support anything. What kind of light are you using? Good rule of thumb is to put your hand out over your plants and get the light as close as you can with out it feeling hot on your hand. If leaves start turning purple they might be a little close and move them up just a lil bit. I'd top em and lower the light. You will see a difference then.

I got them from the chilefarm.com I'm using shop lights with bulbs from a hydro store in Durango.

I'm getting ready to upgrade to a bad ass 8 bulb light for veg. Waiting on some funds.

heres my new light i'm getting
http://www.greners.com/i/grow-lights/fluorescent-grow-lights/t5-fixtures/quantum-badboy-t5-fixtures.html

Well what I am telling you is that those are not Butch T's

Butch T's are chinenses species.. those plants pictured are annuum species

Well what I am telling you is that those are not Butch T's

Butch T's are chinenses species.. those plants pictured are annuum species

Hi HwyBill,

I am finding this topic really interesting. But I am most floored by your being able to tell the difference between Chinenses and Annuum plants at this very young stage. I can tell the frutescens...once they have peppers on them, but to be able to tell the plants apart...amazing. How can you? What are you looking at?

Thanks.

When they get older you can tell the chinense by the spade shaped leaf, at this stage they are impossible to differentiate.

My opinion.

Back