• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Cutting open a flower?

Read an article where a grower says he uses a cross pollination technique normally used only for closed pollinating plants.  I -think- the only difference between crossing open and closed pollination plants is the need to cut open the flower manually (closed pollination) where if the flower opens on its own (open pollination) you do not need to.  Thing is, not sure why a person would do this and also not sure the pollen would be mature.

Any thoughts cause my mind is blank on this one.

BTW: If it ever stops raining, my mind wont wander like this.

ajdrew said:
Read an article where a grower says he uses a cross pollination technique normally used only for closed pollinating plants.  I -think- the only difference between crossing open and closed pollination plants is the need to cut open the flower manually (closed pollination) where if the flower opens on its own (open pollination) you do not need to.  Thing is, not sure why a person would do this and also not sure the pollen would be mature.

Any thoughts cause my mind is blank on this one.

BTW: If it ever stops raining, my mind wont wander like this.

Think you mixed things up there buddy,

here we go :

Open pollination

Open pollination is pollination by insects, birds, wind, or other natural mechanisms, and contrasts with cleistogamy, closed pollination, which is one of the many types of self pollination.

Cross pollination 

This is of two chief kinds: (1) self-pollination, the pollination of a stigma by pollen from the same flower or another flower on the same plant; and (2) cross-pollination, the transfer of pollen from the anther of a flower of one plant to the stigma of the flower of another plant of the same species.

The reason is to cross it using the cut open flower as the female. By removing the petals and the pollen producing anthers you are left with just the pollen receiving stamen. You then pollinate with fresh pollen from another plant. Removing the anthers keeps it from self pollinating. Happy crossing!

Chilima, I dont think I mixed anything up.  I reread what I posted.  Says much what you said, except I am focusing on the mechanical / physical concept of open and closed.  If you want to cross pollinate a been, you have to cut the flower open because it is closed.  To cross pollinate a pepper, no cutting it open is needed cause it opens on its own.

Chad d, EXCELLENT!  So I was right to believe the pollen is not mature but wrong to think the breeder is after the pollen.  Wow that makes sense.  Now wondering if the stamen is mature enough at that point.  I have crossed by removing the male parts after the flower opens, but never thought to try it ahead of time.  Good reason for better magnification.

Get them as they just begin to open. Not wide enough for a bee to get in there, just starting to unfold is the prime target. For me there isn't much as exciting as seeing the new creation the next year.

chad s, that is what I've always thought. Figured there was a point of sexual maturity and if you open them before that, things are unlikely to take.

Back