• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

cuttings

Ok looking for some first hand advice?
I want to take some cuttings and strike them in cocco. this part I'm pretty ok with, what I'm looking for is info, with is peoples first hand experience with cuttings?
Do you find that the plants are some what dwarfed?
I'm not wanting dwarfing? I want full size producing plants.
Anyone taken cutting of chillis recently. any tips.
I have a scopion plant that produces perfect shaped pods and a 7 pot that is massive. I intend to take a few cutting of these plants.

Mick

stillmanz said:
Ok looking for some first hand advice?
I want to take some cuttings and strike them in cocco. this part I'm pretty ok with, what I'm looking for is info, with is peoples first hand experience with cuttings?
Do you find that the plants are some what dwarfed?
I'm not wanting dwarfing? I want full size producing plants.
Anyone taken cutting of chillis recently. any tips.
I have a scopion plant that produces perfect shaped pods and a 7 pot that is massive. I intend to take a few cutting of these plants.

Mick

I posted a while back that when one of my Habanero plants fell over and some stems got snapped off (second year hab) I was able to bring back two of them simply by removing the largest leaves (leaving only the tip) and put a napkin folded up around the end of the stem, soaked in distilled water and placed the whole thing inside a plastic container with plastic wrap over the top and put the whole thing in my green room under lights.

It takes a long time for the roots to form but when they do the plant slowly starts growing again.

Now, there are rooting powders and anti fungal treatments that are great, but this just goes to show you that if you dont have any of those things you can still make cuttings.

The general idea is to remove larger leaves, place end of stem in damp location and keep the whole plant in a moist sealed container so it doesnt wilt.

Hope that helps :)

Hey Mick,

Im no expert lets make that clear....but my experiences have shown that they are dwarfed....i do have a mate that does large number cuttings in SA of petes penis and he gets a good rate of success with no dwarfing.

Go to Bunnings and buy some Clonex ~$15, get your cuttings, drip them in then plant them.

The dwarfism I believe is more to do with the stalk length than the plant itself, ie, the plant will fruit lower to the ground which is a good thing. They will grow into full size plants but because they are dwarfed, or lower to the ground, they should theoretically produce more fruit. I have yet to try this with Superhots, but I will be doing so over winter.

As Richard said, remove the larger leaves towards the bottom of the cutting, so your left with a little stalk in which to plant. Put a half cut bottle over the top of it to keep the humidity trapped in, when you see new signs of growth its time to remove the bottle.

I've never had dwarfed pods, or plants from cuttings but as Taj said the plant structure will be much different and much more bushy.

Here's an example of a plant from a cutting
3294527349_f063097fef.jpg

My plants dwarf from cloning and the dwarfism increases with each generation of clone. UNAM in Mexico published a paper on clone dwarfing.

I don't use any amendments, just cut it and plant it. Make sure your cloning stuff is sterile.

Scorpion said:
Hey Mick,

Im no expert lets make that clear....but my experiences have shown that they are dwarfed....i do have a mate that does large number cuttings in SA of petes penis and he gets a good rate of success with no dwarfing.

Thats good, you wouldn't want a small penis pepper plant :lol:

Back