• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Czech/Hungarian black?

And I have yet another ID question.

I was out back watering and picking a cayenne (I had to, it was screaming at me to pick it, chop it up, and put it on my tacos tonight) when I saw this. It was on what I thought was a jalapeno plant. I had it clearly labeled when I repotted it, but time and sun have worn the writing off the stake in it. It looked like the rest of my young jalapenos a few days ago, and then today, it had turned dark brown.

It's pretty small. The eraser in the picture here is 1" by 2.5" to give an idea of the scale we're talking here. Based on the fact that I originally thought it was going to be a jalapeno combined with the color, I'm assuming it's a Hungarian/Czechoslovakian black.

Can anyone confirm? And are they normally this small, or could it be a side effect of hot temps and/or a small pot?

Photos...

pepper001.jpg

pepper004.jpg

i have a mystery pepper that somewhat resembles what you posted. Do you leaves look like mine?

It was suggested to me that mine may be the Cascabelle, which is a mild mexican pepper. I looked it up and it seems to be identical. You're shape looks a bit different than mine though.

mysterypepper1.jpg

I've had a couple of Jals turn completely black before turning red. Are they all turning dark brown? Maybe try leaving a couple on and see if they end up turning red.

I have one other on that plant that's the same brown color. I'm going to leave it on for a bit and see what happens.

I looked up Czech blacks online and found they turn a literal deep black, not the brown color I have now. So I don't think that's what I have here. I know I bought some Czech black seeds, but as I said, a lot of the writing on my stakes has worn off so I'm stuck with a bunch of question marks.

I ate the one in the photo last night. The inside is still kind of green, very mild heat, less than a jalapeno.

It looks like a mini jalapeno to me. I always get a few tiny ones and they look just like yours and they should ripen to red

My Czech Blacks have really cool green/purple leaves and dark, dark purple fruit that will turn red when ripe. And there about 1.5" to 2" long.
IMG_9452.jpg

Back