• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Daily pepper consumption

How many peppers do you eat daily? I find that while my garden has hit its stride in pepper production (most of it ends of in sauce) I usually eat one two fresh peppers a day with my meals.

Today's abbreviated harvest (due to lots of blood seeking insects swarming outside).

I probably eat between 1 and 3 fresh pods each day, year-round (making do with grocery store fare in the winter).... and i use powders/flakes/sauces every day, too.    

Hawaiianero said:
Very nice. What varieties?
Is it just off-coloring of the picture or are those really pink peppers?
Those are orange habaneros and a red variety of datil.. sorry the colors are off

So how many pods a day do you eat?

Muckyai said:
Those are orange habaneros and a red variety of datil.. sorry the colors are off

So how many pods a day do you eat?

That's a tough question being that I grow a variety of peppers and eat them in a few different ways.
Majority of my pepper eating is in the form of home-made powders and sauces nowadays.

Before I learned to makes sauces or tried drying I would chop up a single orange Hab with every meal or use 4 or 5 Thai dragons instead.
Since then I started growing Bishops hats and Brazilian starfish which I can eat by the handfuls straight from the garden.
Also growing Chocolate Habs that I prefer over the orange ones. Although I sometimes eat them fresh the majority goes to powder.
Aji Amarillo is another of my favorites although a little less heat than a Hab
Yellow Fatalii's, another favorite of mine but those go to sauce with a mango and pineapple base.

I think since all my meals are spicy and the total heat level is comparable to a single Habanero, I would say equivalent of 3 peppers a day.

On an average day I usually go through 4+ fresh superhots.  Sometimes I eat them whole with lunch/dinner, other times they end up diced and cooked on/in whatever I am eating.  On the days I take a break from superhots, I am generally gobbling up hot or mild varieties like snack food.  I love vinegar and will absolutely destroy a jar of pickled whole peppers if you turn your back on me.  (Except pickled jalapenos, they are safe.  Only like em' fresh.)  I throw powder on lots of things and hot sauce on most things.  I generally do several batches of wine a year with peppers of some sort and I have great difficulty allowing it to age.  My habanero mead is a perennial favorite with folks, but stock got wiped out while I was sick and could not brew.  I'm looking to do several varieties this year.

My White Fatalii is starting to pod up heavily and the prospect of loads of fresh snack pods has me embarrassing degrees of excited.  I am pretty sure my neighbors wonder why I look back lovingly at my plants like a newlywed when I leave for work and leer at them when I return every evening like a demented pervert.

When I have fresh superhot pods on hand (I don't grow, so I have to purchase from people who do) I will eat 2 to 4 pods a day, maybe a couple more if the pods are small. I far prefer fresh pods to sauces or dried peppers. But when the superhots aren't around, I go through what has been called by quite a few people an "alarming amount" of supermarket Jalapenos, Serranos, Fresnos, and Habaneros....

I know that not everyone agrees, but I am very thankful for the dreggy pods I can get at the local grocery, especially the International type spots, which sometimes have some slightly more unusual pods.  Been making my eggs with Finger Longs I got for dirt cheap at the Korean market.  Delicious.  My usual move is omelets with jalapeños and orange habs, plus onions, garlic, etc... but it's nice to switch it up.

Once these pods in my gardens start to ripen up, my omelets are gonna get a bit more interesting....

Bicycle808 said:
I know that not everyone agrees, but I am very thankful for the dreggy pods I can get at the local grocery, especially the International type spots, which sometimes have some slightly more unusual pods.  Been making my eggs with Finger Longs I got for dirt cheap at the Korean market.  Delicious.  My usual move is omelets with jalapeños and orange habs, plus onions, garlic, etc... but it's nice to switch it up.

Once these pods in my gardens start to ripen up, my omelets are gonna get a bit more interesting....
Ethnic markets are fantastic places to get produce. They seem, to me, to have fresher foods and a lot more variety than the typical grocery store.

In my experience, the "fresher" part is hit or miss, depending on the specific market.... but definitely more variety, usually far better prices, but the only problem is, i have gotten accustomed to certain items, which means i have to stop at quite a few spots to get my weekly grocery shopping done.

Back