• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Damaged Control

I think these Thai Chiles are sunburned (if that is the correct term) are they worth keeping around or not? And I am guessing that two of my Poblanos where attacked by an animal... will the rest of the pepper be good, or should I trash them now?
Thanks for any help.

DSC03242.jpg

DSC03245.jpg

I am having a hard time seeing any sunburn, just looks as though they are ripening. As for the other pods keep them growing.

This picture may have better color. Parts of them are black, and the rest still green. The ones that have ripened are a nice bright red all over.

DSC03243.jpg

The ones you are worried about looking black is possible the peppers reaction to the sun. My Jalapenos all turn black/perple color due to the 10 hrs of sun they get everyday.And most of the time it is only on the side of the pepper that gets exposure to sun.

Gallon said:
I think these Thai Chiles are sunburned (if that is the correct term) are they worth keeping around or not? And I am guessing that two of my Poblanos where attacked by an animal... will the rest of the pepper be good, or should I trash them now?
Thanks for any help.

They're not sunburned, but rather suntanned. Don't worry about it, it's normal for pods exposed to the sun.

Go ahead and harvest the damaged Poblanos and save what you can from the good portion of the pod.

Novacastrian: No chance for a macro shot tonight but I can try tomorrow, or in the next few days, as soon as I have some time again. Thanks for the tip on the poblanos, and sticking with my poor camera work on these chilies.

rds040800: Sounds similar to what you are seeing. These are black on top and any other high sun areas. Are your jalapenos still good when they ripen.

Thanks to both of you for the info.

Gallon said:
rds040800: Sounds similar to what you are seeing. These are black on top and any other high sun areas. Are your jalapenos still good when they ripen.

Thanks to both of you for the info.

It has had no affect on mine as they beat any store bought peno by a mine on taste and heat. I refuse to buy peppers in the store again.

Back