• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Damaged cotyledon turned plant into a mutant freak?

This Takanotsume had helmet head and I decided to "help". One of the cotyledons got damaged in the process, and now it's growing new leaves from the tip. It also may be growing a flower bud even though it's only an inch tall. Did this seed come from Fukushima or does this stuff happen all the time? I assume I should pinch off the new freak leaves and the flower bud, if that's what it is, right?
takanatsume_zps4b70bf1f.jpg

I don't see a flower bud, but if it is a flower bud, I'd suggest that the nutrients are not quite right, perhaps your NPK are out of whack. This early and at that size you want one with more N, if your plant is budding (which I don't see).

I think what we are seeing is a case of "peppers are resilient".

Happy it survived for you. I suspect when the coty's fall off in a few weeks, that things will go back to normal.

Ken

Huuum I'm not familiar with Takanotsume, so I don't know if its prone to mutations, I would pick the flower bud and leave the mutant growth on it as it may turn out to be something special. That is just my opinion.

jsschrstrcks I think you're right about it not being a flower bud coming out just above the mutant coty. My other Takanotsume plants all have leaves coming out right at the joints, so I thought the odd location and shape of the growth out of the stem may be something else. In the time since I took this picture, it's taken on a more pointed leaf like appearance.

I'll see what it turns into, if the cotyledon doesn't fall off it will get interesting. This was a free seed pack from Pepperjoe's, so I don't have any specific plans for them anyway.

Back