• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests Damaged Plants: Cold Damage, Pest or Disease?

Sorry to everyone that has helped me in my previous threads. I'm in a pickle and my plants are getting worse by the day. Everyday new growth is being damaged by SOMETHING. Please take the time to read my situation, and give feedback. I am so grateful for this forum.

I fed these guys with Alaska 5-1-1 Fish emulsion and I suspected an overdose. This was pretty much not the case since the dosage was very diluted and mild.

This leads me to believe that either the weather is still too cold to be outside, I have a pest infestation, or they are infected with blight.

The temps have been in the 46-61 range for the past three weeks

I set these plants outside over the course of a week; but I did NOT expose them gradually. I just set them out. They were fine for days but then this started popping up. One day the leaves will be green, healthy, then the next day crisp, burned, wilted, ugly markings, etc. I am so confused!! I suspected pests so I used neem and soap but the problem is not going away, rather it is speeding up. I don't want to lose my plants. This is on ALL OF MY PLANTS. NOT JUST PEPPERS. Can anyone please provide a diagnosis and a course of action?

Much appreciation!!

Looks like they might be burned from too much sun too soon.

I moved all my plants into a shadier area. Before, they were in direct sunlight for many hours of the day. will they recover??
^+1

The Thai plant was already hardened off but if you took it inside for a period of time it needed to start over...

what is +1? Lol. If it is sun damage, what do you think as far as recovery?

You replied as I was typing +1 for previous post, it should recover but you should always harden off plants that have started indoors. 

I think you have more than one issue

Couple of my plants had a look similar to your bhut. I sprayed it with a veggie safe pesticide and it helped some. Am I saying it's a pest and spray stuff on it? No. I have no clue what the issue is and even when I blindly treated mine it didn't completely clear up, but it did help some.

You replied as I was typing +1 for previous post, it should recover but you should always harden off plants that have started indoors. 

I think you have more than one issue

What issues do I have?
Couple of my plants had a look similar to your bhut. I sprayed it with a veggie safe pesticide and it helped some. Am I saying it's a pest and spray stuff on it? No. I have no clue what the issue is and even when I blindly treated mine it didn't completely clear up, but it did help some.

Hopefully these guys clear up soon :(

Could be sunburn, nute burn, and slow growth due to cool weather. Especially if you have them in the shade.

No I just put them in the shade like 15 mins ago. should I move them back into the direct sun? Let them harden up naturally?
Plus, they say more capsaicin is developed when the plant goes through stress ;)

obeychase said:
, they say more capsaicin is developed when the plant goes through stress ;)

Careful with "they".

"they" say a lot of things and not all is true. In this case though, "they" are talking about stressing adult plants that already have fruit on them. In my experience, there is no need to stress the plant. If you want a hotter pepper, get a hotter strain. There are plenty of hotter ones.

Your plants look like typical sunburn.  Hardening off your plants should take about a week before they're exposed to full sun.
First day outside the plants should be in the shade the whole day.
Second day put the plants in the sun for an hour, then back to shade.
Increase the amount of time in the sun by about an hour each successive day.
By the end of the week, the plants should be able to stay in the sun all day.

However, with our erratic weather, you may have to bring the plants inside during the night if the temps get below about 40 degrees.

Treat your plants like they're worth all the time and money you've spent on them.  They will give back more and more.

Your plants should bounce back in a couple of weeks.  Like Jeff H said, just give them water in this time period and they'll be fine.

I don't know what zone you're in, but I don't plan on setting my plants out for another 2-3 weeks, in zone 5.  Don't always hurry.
We're closer to the sun, so I make sure the plants get shade every day by where they're planted.  We're at almost 6000' high.  We've had sunscald way too often in the past.

I suspect sun and wind damage. Then the first pic there is a nute issue also because of the cold - the very pale new leaves near the stem.

Did it get windy sometime after the first day?

Some of the damage (interveinal white, dead spots) looks like typical sunburn. If a plant is hardened, then brought inside to stay for a while, any growth that occurs indoors will need to be completely hardened or it will burn. 
     The tip dieback looks like it could be from cold temps or from nute burn. I can't tell the difference without knowing more history. 
     Harden them gradually. Not just for sun, but for cold, heat, dry air, wind, dry soil etc... Also research the amount of nutes your adding, in addition to any already in your soil. Keep in mind that if your plants aren't growing really fast right now, they may not need a whole lot. 
     I bet they pull through. I think stress is good for plants at that age (To an extent. There's also something to be said for healthy leaves and a strong root system.). They're not so young that you're going to risk killing them. Better they get used to it now before they get blindsided by drought or cold temps once they're planted out. 
     Two more things: Is that mud on your jalapeño leaf, or does it look like bacterial leaf spot (search for pics). And was that pineapple inside all winter? That might be sun damage, but it looks suspiciously like some leaves on some bromeliads I own that just appear to be ratty from old age. As old leaves senesce, the plants start absorbing nutrients out of them to be recycled. They lose color and then dry up. But I kind of suck at growing bromeliads, so... whatever... :drunk:

edit: I just read the text in the OP  :clap: and have changed my mind on a few points. I don't think nute burn is a factor (unless your soil was already charged with a toxic amount). I think all that bright, sudden sunshine burned them and nighttime temps were too cool to allow them to heal and grow out of it. Plus trying to flush the fish emulsion (probably in vain) led to overwatering. 
     Kind a of a "perfect storm" of pepper neglect (no offense). Peppers hate temps below 55F which will stall growth. This especially hurt plants that need to transpire a lot of water and overcome sunburn. 
    Let them get afternoon sun to help warm up the pot/soil and keep them warm at night. Also let them dry out a bit then give them some dilute fish emulsion. 
     On second look, I also think that pineapple has sunburn.

Back