• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Damn squirrel gonna get his

The big fat squirrel(s) in my yard came onto the deck and was digging in the pepper pots. Didn't damage the plants yet but snapped off and killed my sunflower. Little bastard...

I have a large jar of cayenne powder. I sprinkled it all over and around my pepper plants and their pots. Let him come up there now.

:hell:

I've had the same problem in the past. I watched a squirrel dig a good sized hole in a potted tree on the patio to bury a few nuts he had collected I didn't mind since the tree was fairly large, but I did go back and steal his nuts after he was done. I can only imagine the confusion he will have when the winter comes and he goes back to dig up a nice tasty nut and it is gone.

LGHT said:
I've had the same problem in the past. I watched a squirrel dig a good sized hole in a potted tree on the patio to bury a few nuts he had collected I didn't mind since the tree was fairly large, but I did go back and steal his nuts after he was done. I can only imagine the confusion he will have when the winter comes and he goes back to dig up a nice tasty nut and it is gone.

Yes yes Dr Evil..;) it will be lots of fun watching him starve to death.

Next year you can put his carcass in the pot as a warning to other squirrels....

Or maybe just his head on a skewer.;)

LGHT said:

Squirrels don't have very good memories. Many mighty oak and hickory trees owe their start in life to a forgetfull squirrel. :D

cheezydemon said:
Those are funny, but permanent damage was done, both physically and psychologically to the squirrel.;)

I repeated one by mistake - check out the one in the middle with the pumpkins. It seems slow but them, WHAM! I laughed out loud.

That ott to be an Olympic Event, Squirrel Chucken...

Better then Cow Pushing..."-)

I'm sure there fine, I seen one fall out of a 60' tree and hit the ground a running...

I can appreciate worlocks frustration with the squirrels. I also appreciate his humane way of dealing with it. I'm a huge animal lover and the last thing I want to read on this forum is hurting or killing any animals.

The last time this came up......dare I bring it up?

Chilehunter let loose a barrage of shite when someone suggested getting a cat to keep birds or squirrels away.

Search "feral cats" if you want. "Birds" would be the title.

good fun.;)

cheezydemon said:
Chilehunter let loose a barrage of shite when someone suggested getting a cat to keep birds or squirrels away.

Nah, my cat scares them fine but doesn't have a chance in h-e-l-l of actually getting a paw on one of them. Fat, lazy, ol' thing he is. Just like his owner. ;)

The owls around here on the other hand... they'll eat the squirrels, other birds and small cats too.

Well, the humane option would be to get larger squirrels and hire them to 'intimidate' the squirrel in the garden.

I laughed so much when I found out that the Grey Squirrel, which was brought to the UK from North America and who routinely picks on its smaller cousin, the Red Squirrel was now being picked on itself by a larger, dark grey/black species of squirrel! Suddenly people felt bad for the grey squirrel. :)

So that's the answer: get a rival gang of squirrels to 'muscle in' on the territory and offer protection.

Either that or coat the burried nuts in dried Naga powder (mostly kidding again :P)...

We have hawks and turkey vultures. Well, the vultures aren't hunters but scavengers. The hawks are another story, but they don't seem to put much of a dent in the rodent population. This is a residential area, but we have lots of trees and stuff - some woods nearby. I have deer the come through. We have squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, raccoons, possum, and who knows what else. We even have a small coyote population. I am surrounded by reservoir too. The area where I live is really a good example of civilization getting along with nature. You'd never know that it was a mere short drive to New York City via the Palisades Interstate Parkway right to various routes into NYC. I'm also not far from the legendary Sleepy Hollow over in Tarrytown, NY.

Back