• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Dan-T's Substitute

On a whim, I tried and failed to get a bottle of "Dan-T's Inferno", a sauce I loved in the 90s/00s.

They've gone and permanently rolled down their shutters.

I'd love to find a similar/comparable cayenne ketchup with heat but can only find splash/Tabasco style sauces (and "Frank's" just isn't hot enough).

Any chilli-heads got advice for me please?

Sorry; not held a bottle in years and assumed it had a following!  The displayed content on the label was Cayenne.

81HT5SKUyCL._SL1500_.jpg

Hey man

Check this out https://pspbrooklyn.com/products/carolina-red

Without a doubt the best cayenne sauce. It uses Carolina Cayenne, a hotter one. It is thick, and not just hot vinegar. It has just the right spices. It will remind you of Louisiana style, but you'll soon forget about all of those.

Hullblazer said:
I'd love to find a similar/comparable cayenne ketchup with heat but can only find splash/Tabasco style sauces (and "Frank's" just isn't hot enough).

Any chilli-heads got advice for me please?

I have a question, are you looking for a tomato-cayenne based hot sauce or ketchup? I make my own hot ketchup by mixing finely minced habanero and commercially available ketchup. Let me know which & I'll walk you through my methodology for hot ketchup.

He's looking for thick hot sauce. 

Sorry, have been incommunicado for the weekend (in-laws).

Yes, I am looking for a thick sauce/ketchup but with the strong hit of cayenne.  Please do hit me up with your method, if I can't find a sauce-a-like I'll happily cobble one together.

Hullblazer said:
Sorry, have been incommunicado for the weekend (in-laws).

Yes, I am looking for a thick sauce/ketchup but with the strong hit of cayenne.  Please do hit me up with your method, if I can't find a sauce-a-like I'll happily cobble one together.

You'll need two ketchup squeeze bottles, an empty/clean small one and another with ketchup of your choice. Method is:

Mince a bunch of peppers of your choice. Remember the pieces need to fit through opening.
Put a squirt of ketchup in empty one.
drop some minced pepper in the bottle.
Put another squirt of ketchup in bottle.
Add more peppers.
Repeat until 3/4 full.
Put bottle in  fridge - wait a week.
Shake bottle well and return to fridge.
Repeat shaking for a month.
ENJOY!

Needless to say this a "seat of your pants" recipe that may need adjustments to your liking.

NECM

Back