• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Danko's Pepper Growing Glog

Ok, so here we are!

I have the following seed germinating:

Peter Pepper

Trinidad Moruga Scorpion

Yellow Buht Jolokias

Buht Jolokias

Fatalii

Aji Limon

I started germinating on 4/25/13.

One detail that I want to get your help on. As per the instructions sent with my seeds the ideal temp for them to germinate is between 80 to 87 deg F. As you can see on the pic the temp is at 81 deg which seems ideal. That temp reading was at 9pm. My problem is that I checked the temp this morning and it went down to 75 deg between the night time and morning. maybe for 5-6 hours tops. should I be worried about this or will they germinate properly. I live on PR and I thought the temp would hold for the whole day inside that room but naturally it's getting cooler from the middle of the night to the morning.

I know there's the heat mats. Should I get one?

400581_10151663266292625_1539696479_n.jpg

374989_10151663266197625_1245007501_n.jpg

Hello and welcome.

That seems to be ok as long as he seeds aren't directly on the heat mat. Some heat mats supposed to heat up your seeds/medium up to 10ºF above ambient temps.

About the temp getting too low, don't worry about that. Temps fluctuate when you sow directly outside right? No need to worry you're off to a good start.

, Vegas

Hey guys thanks for the replies.

Yeah,l I had figured as much about the temp. I just want to make sure they don't end up dead like my other plants so I want to clarify every detail I can.

Jamison, thanks man I'll know later today about the seeds. I'll let you know as soon as I get them. Yours are on the way also, maybe you'll receive them today too!

I will try to update as any changes or questions come up. It's good to have advice from all you guys. I still have some surviving plants from my first seeds but these ones I want to come out better.

OK, short update. Chinense peppers are yet to hook. Peter pepper is already germinating! Also, we've had rainy days this week, temp inside the room or the bags has not gone above 78 deg. I guess that will delay the already slow process of germinating the other peppers..we'll see.

941120_10151668723562625_306777370_n.jpg

Not related to the glog per se, but I have to thank Jamison for an awesome selection of seeds he sent me! I cannot wait to start those plants also! Is like having a bunch of new toys!

Ok, here we go!

Peter peppers are really advanced compared to the others so I put them in dirt in plastic cups. All the other seed except the yellow buhts have started to hook.

Here's also a pic of the dirt I am using. No fertilizers in it. It is a mixture of compost, vermiculite and peat moss. Please let me know if this is ok. The guy at the ag shop told me I could mix it with some sand to retain moisture better. Just want to run that trough you guys first before doing it. I think this way it should be fine but if the sand helps I'll do it...let me clarify that the sand we can get here is obviously beach sand just in case that makes any difference.

942613_10151673702867625_1936041369_n.jpg

943057_10151673703067625_1788211822_n.jpg

935468_10151673689317625_1302662586_n.jpg

I also have access to cow poop mixed with dirt in it just in case that's better.

PHB, you were right on the money Scorpions hooked right after the Peter peppers! Aji Limon is advancing well too!

Hi,

Usually you add Perlite to retain moisture, but honestly peppers hate to have their roots wet.

Bhut can take up to 30 days for germination.

Just some remarks :
- did you made some holes at the bottom of the cups ? If not do it for drainage.
- looking at the pics (top soil & side of cups) it's look pretty wet. Don't water them until the soil is bone dry and until the leaves ask for it.

The recurrent problem with peppers is over-watering, over-wet roots. Even when you look at the soil and it seems dry, in fact under it's very wet.

A pepper is closer to a cactus in term of watering rather than a basil.

Edit : and for the rest : don't worry too much about fert until they have 4 or 5 pairs of leaves. If you can find some, buy some Cal-Mag. Chinense often face a calcium defiency (bumping leaves) beginning at the 3rd pair of leaves. But add cal only when they need water (don't over water just to add cal). For the light, are you growing indoor or outdoor ?

PHB, thank you for your reply. Yeah I added a little water just to make sure they had plenty of moisture. It's been really hot these days here mid
90's. I'll be growing outside and the cups do have holes one the bottom.

I'll be looking for that stuff you mentioned on the local stores and get it. Everything else on the list is at least hooking already so in the next week i'll probably move some more of the seeds to dirt.

Reactions: PHB
I didn't noticed you live in Puerto Rico. Your peppers are growing in their natural environment I guess.

To give you an idea about watering : mine are around 2" with 5 pairs of leaves and I give them an espresso cup of water per week. If I give them more than this, they feel & look bad. But the temperature in my cupboard is only 75F°, so maybe you will have to water them more (it's also depends of the pots you are using, if they have sun all day long, etc.).

Have a nice day

Oh man my plants drowned in water yesterday. I had covered them before leaving in the morning and when I got home they were soaked. The plastic I put over them fell off. I hope they survive. There's been lots off rain these past two days. Is there anything I can do?

Nice list and good pics, in PR you shouldn't have any problems other than bugs but they can be beat. Perfect climate & conditions, here's to great success to your 2013 grow :)

PS: I'm surprised there are no Caribbean bonnets in your list, well maybe next year. Also surprised you being from PR that you aren’t growing the Aji Caballero.

walk, thank you for the reply. Yeah, I have caballero seeds but they are so common here that I only got these ones to germinate. Just trying to get to grow something different from what we have here. Many people don't even know how extensive pepper strains are. plus I wanted to introduce some of my friends to something other than the "pique" I have friends that love the heat...can't wait for them to try something like buhts and scorpions. Man I have had some bad juju with my peppers first time I over watered them now this. I'll keep trying till I'm successful!

That sounds like a solution for sure! I will try that if they haven't dried today. I doubt it but it has been pretty sunny today so it might've dried a bit. I'll see when I get home.

Well some of my plants are gone. They looked like the snapped. I have no idea how this could've happened. Obviously the excess water has something to do with it. I knew something could go wrong. So like I said I had some that my father in law planted and all of those plants are intact. So thank God not everything is lost. I will try to update with pictures later. I am coming to the conclusion that I will grow my plants inside. Which is so stupid I guess since we have a climate that's great for peppers. At least till they are strong enough to be outside.

Any recommendations on light for these plants? Can a florescent light work or do I need special growing lights to take care of these plants?

Well some of my plants are gone. They looked like the snapped. I have no idea how this could've happened. Obviously the excess water has something to do with it. I knew something could go wrong. So like I said I had some that my father in law planted and all of those plants are intact. So thank God not everything is lost. I will try to update with pictures later. I am coming to the conclusion that I will grow my plants inside. Which is so stupid I guess since we have a climate that's great for peppers. At least till they are strong enough to be outside.

Any recommendations on light for these plants? Can a florescent light work or do I need special growing lights to take care of these plants?

If they look like they just "snapped off" it's damping off. Too much water from the top. Bottom watering is much safer, but don't over do it.

As for the lights you can use any fluorescent light. Go for the "daylight" bulb which is 6500K, and of course use the fixture that would accommodate your grow or something you like. Many on here use T8 fixtures (shop light from Wal-Mart is cheap) with great success.

, Vegas

Back