• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Datil dying after transplant?

Transplanted a bunch of stuff yesterday because I put little to no dirt in their containers to sprout them

my older plants that I transplanted are doing great

trans%20002.jpg

the babies I transplanted are doing good too
trans%20010.jpg

trans%20005.jpg

but my datil (the healthiest sprout I had) isn't doing too good
trans%20011.jpg

it's not the only Datil I have but I want to know why it's all messed up so I don't mess up transplanting in the future, and I don't know what I did wrong since this datil is really the only one showing signs of stress

Looks like too much sun too quickly. Possibly that section gets more sunlight than the others during the course of the day? Any time you start seeds in less than full sunlight, you need to harden them off, ensuring they don't get too much light or wind too quickly. There are plenty of articles on this site regarding hardening off if you do a search.

The bottom pic is transplant shock. Try to shade it from the sun for a day, the sun will make it worse. Wait till it needs to be watered then water it with some fert or no transplant shock 1/4 strength. If it hasbt been fed

geeme said:
Looks like too much sun too quickly. Possibly that section gets more sunlight than the others during the course of the day? Any time you start seeds in less than full sunlight, you need to harden them off, ensuring they don't get too much light or wind too quickly. There are plenty of articles on this site regarding hardening off if you do a search.
hmm actually it might be the other way around, the datil was grown in 5-6 hours of sun a day and everything else only got about an hour of sun a day through a screen in my patio.

megahot said:
The bottom pic is transplant shock. Try to shade it from the sun for a day, the sun will make it worse. Wait till it needs to be watered then water it with some fert or no transplant shock 1/4 strength. If it hasbt been fed
it's been overcast/drizzling since monday, and it's going to be like that until next friday, should I just bring it inside? it sprouted/grew outside, not sure if removing it from nature would be more of a shock than rain

If its overcast and drizzling Id just let it be. See if it perks up after a bit. If not I suggest my advice to feed it 1/4 strength, if you havent fed it yet when it needs to be watered.

I put some plant success granular myco in the transplant hole and some on top of the dirt (it's under the coffee grounds, I haven't mixed it into the soil or anything)

says it's 3-1-2

Ok, it should be good to go then, just give it some time. If it doesnt bounce back after a week, Id feed it at 1/4 strength. At that point it cant hurt

well, forgot to plant all my transplants on top of a mound so they're all underwater until it stops raining so hard

brought my datil bag inside my patio but it still got a few hours of rain

I don't think they'll die but time will tell

just looked at the datil, looks pretty dead to me

water%20002.jpg

Do you have rain gutters?  Those plants look pretty damn close to where the roof runoff would pound em during a storm.  Those plants look way to small tah put in the ground yet.

Prehensile said:
Do you have rain gutters?  Those plants look pretty damn close to where the roof runoff would pound em during a storm.  Those plants look way to small tah put in the ground yet.
they're not getting hit by gutter water, the gutter water lands in the middle of the rocks

Prehensile said:
  Those plants look way to small tah put in the ground yet.
Yep, too young to transplant, may not have been hardened off totally either. Usually can't take full strenth ferts at that age either. More at risk of damping off too.

Would some survive under those conditions? Of course some would, but you'd lose a good percentage of those seedlings.

Back