• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Datil peppers

I know we have a few members in the St. Augustine area. I'm going to try some, but I have seen a few different types. I have seen people with what they called the heirloom type, and then I have seen a super Datil, which I assume is a larger one? For those of you Datil lovers that know your subject, what can you tell me about these? I was thinking about getting some from Judy, which her picture looked like peppers a little smaller than the ones I have seen growing in Gainsville. Tom

I am growing Datil peppers this year, seeds were from Pepperlover.  I'll include a pic as to show different growing conditions and such.  I cangt answer your question, sorry.  Just thought I would show results of her seeds.  

IMG_7644.jpg

the seeds i got from peppermania gave me 2 types of pods, the first wave was a small corkscrew pod with no seed, the second fruiting delivered the standard type pod with seed. both pods had chinense smell and initial taste was sweet and fruity. i didn't grow them this year but they are on my 2016 grow list.

Buzzman19 said:
I am growing Datil peppers this year, seeds were from Pepperlover.  I'll include a pic as to show different growing conditions and such.  I cangt answer your question, sorry.  Just thought I would show results of her seeds.  

IMG_7644.jpg

Got my seedlings from chileplants.com. They look like these and are just now ripening up nice. Hot, fruity smell as well. Thinking about going rogue and making southern peppa style sauce with them this year.

I saw the pure Florida guy and obviously, this should be the real thing. The picture that shows what came from Judy's seeds looks like the real thing too. From her picture, I wasn't sure. I know we really aren't talking about a whole lot of money either way, but her packs of 20+ seeds on Datils are $1 each, where the Florida guy is 5 times that. That was my dilemma. I had heard from more rt one person that these don't germinate real well, so if that was the case, getting more than 20 seeds would be better to get a good group of plants. Thanks for everyone's input. Tom

Buzzman19 said:

Just to add my 2 cents...

I bought mine from Judy too, and my pods look exactly like yours.
They've had constant heat and flavor throughout the growing season, and are some of my last plants currently still producing pods.

I've grown Datils before and they're one of my favorites. Early and heavy producers with a nice fruity flavor, a little milder than habanero.

As Datil mentioned, regardless of its history many Super Datils look and taste very similar to Fatalii, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the seed out there is simply rebranded Fatalii.

Back