• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Datil questions

This is my first year growing peppers, so forgive my naivety. I've only recently become aware of the issue of hybridized pepper seed and plants being advertised as varieties they are not. My pepper crop for this year I expect to be something of a surprise... but that's okay, because I'm starting with no expectations.

Anyway, in one of a couple of ebay purchases I made, I ordered a couple Datil pepper plants. I had never even heard of this pepper until this year. The plants, at least from my very limited knowledge, look like they could be Datils:

IMGP0276.jpg

IMGP0277.jpg

IMGP0278.jpg

In any event, they're very healthy for plants I've received in the mail. Aside from a few leaves that fell off in transit, they're doing well, and one was even blooming (I've been picking off the flowers as I see them; I'd rather let them grow more, at least until I can safely put them outside).

I realize I won't be able to tell for sure until I allow them to go to fruit, but I just was curious if these appear as they should. Also, one of my pepper growing friends told me that a hybridized "Super Datil" is often passed off as regular Datils, and he says the hybrid is inferior... how would I be able to tell the difference between the two, having no experience with these peppers? (and for that matter, why is it inferior?)

hard to tell...they look chinense to me...but you won't know untill poddage occurs...

If you got them from someone around Jacksonville, Florida, they could be the real deal...that's where datils were originally grown and they grow a lot of them there still...

I use a lady down around Jacksonville that I get my datil seeds from and she sells on ebay...don't remember her name but if you want, let me know and I will try and find her contact information..

hard to tell...they look chinense to me...but you won't know untill poddage occurs...

If you got them from someone around Jacksonville, Florida, they could be the real deal...that's where datils were originally grown and they grow a lot of them there still...

I use a lady down around Jacksonville that I get my datil seeds from and she sells on ebay...don't remember her name but if you want, let me know and I will try and find her contact information..

That's alright, but thanks for the offer. Like I said, I'm not terribly concerned about getting the exact variety this first time around. I'll be happy as long as it's a hot chinense cultivar of some kind, as I have plenty of medium-hot peppers growing but nothing with that extra kick.

If your plants are showing signs of new growth that's good news!!

The sellers juice them before shipping and sometimes they overdo it causing them to go dormant for a little while and it takes time for them to come around.

This process is necessary which help them survive the isolation from light.

This is my first year growing peppers, so forgive my naivety. I've only recently become aware of the issue of hybridized pepper seed and plants being advertised as varieties they are not. My pepper crop for this year I expect to be something of a surprise... but that's okay, because I'm starting with no expectations.

Anyway, in one of a couple of ebay purchases I made, I ordered a couple Datil pepper plants. I had never even heard of this pepper until this year. The plants, at least from my very limited knowledge, look like they could be Datils:

IMGP0276.jpg

IMGP0277.jpg

IMGP0278.jpg

In any event, they're very healthy for plants I've received in the mail. Aside from a few leaves that fell off in transit, they're doing well, and one was even blooming (I've been picking off the flowers as I see them; I'd rather let them grow more, at least until I can safely put them outside).

I realize I won't be able to tell for sure until I allow them to go to fruit, but I just was curious if these appear as they should. Also, one of my pepper growing friends told me that a hybridized "Super Datil" is often passed off as regular Datils, and he says the hybrid is inferior... how would I be able to tell the difference between the two, having no experience with these peppers? (and for that matter, why is it inferior?)

Beautiful plants!

They look like they could be Datils to me. You'll have to grow them out to be sure...

Back